Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rendering Character animation sprites (Diablo 2 Style)

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
3138 Views, 12 Replies

Rendering Character animation sprites (Diablo 2 Style)

Hello. I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post, but I'll try.

I'm working on a game similar to Diablo 2. I need some guidance with the settings for rendering 2d sprites from 3d models.

I working in 3ds max 2015, Standard renderer. The problem is when I render the animation, the sprites look bad and I don't know what is the problem; lighting, materials or something else. I know for sure that when Blizzard was designing D2 they used 3ds max and they didn't use any filters on their renders. 

If someone would be so kind to guide me through the process of learning I would be very grateful.

123.gif

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Alfred.DeFlaminis
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello @Anonymous and welcome to the community,

I see what you mean about the sprites.  Very cool looking character here though.  This looks to me to be a problem with sampling.  Which render are you using?  

Best Regards,

Message 3 of 13

i was going to help with this one but due to the copyright law i would not because i thought it may infringe on the blizzard copyright law and i don't know whether it does or does not infringe on their copyright law!

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.DeFlaminis

Thanks for the reply. I am using Scanline renderer, but if there is a need I can change to any other that you would recommend. 

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: irishman_team_kilber

I don't think there will be a problem with Blizzard copyrights because there are literaly hundreds of mods for Diablo 2 and there was even a mod which substituted one of the characters like I am planning to. There is a great community of D2 modders and no one has ever had any problems with Blizzard. If you help me, it would help not only this project but with all my future projects because I'm just learning and want to learn new things.

Message 6 of 13
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous and @irishman_team_kilber,

I am just giving render advice.  Obviously Autodesk doesn't approve of copyright infringement, but I don't see how helping remove noise from a render does that.  Please clarify.

@Anonymous,

Thanks, just wanted to be sure standard renderer meant scanline.  Is this the resolution you are rendering at or are you scaling down these images afterwards?  Do they looks like this at full res?  I'm trying to think of what in scanline could cause this, I suppose it's different AA sampling per frame.  Is Antialiasing enabled?  If you enable the global supersampler does it look different on render?  (F10->Render tab.)  Can you tell me a bit about how you are lighting this?  (Thanks!)

If you switch to mental ray and render the same frames, does it also chatter?  Thanks for trying those things.  What I can also do is create a private folder for you to upload the files to and investigate the scene personally if you'd like.  Just say the word.  

Best Regards,

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.DeFlaminis

Dear Alfred (AJ) DeFlaminis,

I would really like you to look the scene. It would be great if you could set up the lighthing and materials and send me the scene, so that I can use it as preset for my future renders. I am just starting and learning from you guys is very rewarding. If you agree to look at the scene, how do you want me to send it to you?

Message 8 of 13
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous,

I can't setup the lighting and rendering, but I can tell you what I'd do.  There's a fine line between doing the work and helping and I'm asked to help only.  However I can tell you exactly what to change and that is basically the same thing.  Happy to help!

I have set up a private folder for you if you'd like to upload your files there. You should get an email about it shortly, and if you don't see it please check your SPAM folder. These files are private and will not be shared with anyone but yourself and the support staff. Please let me know if you have any questions. Please use at least an 8 character password or the Box account may not work properly.

Best Regards,

Message 9 of 13

@Anonymous from what i know the modders don't take a character from a game and then mod but they build it themshelves/theirselves. which does not infringe on the copyright. my knowleage is limited i would contact Blizzard and see if it's a breach of the copyright law before giving it to @Alfred.DeFlaminis he does not want to get into trouble and nor do you! and he doesn't sued or gets fired from autodesk. 

i am not sure if he works for autodesk but they would not want a badmark on their name for empolying someone who breaches the copyright law!

Message 10 of 13
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Is that character not your character @Anonymous?  I thought the complaint was about modding Diablo 2, I didn't realize the character was not yours.  It would be nice to clarify.  

Best Regards,

Message 11 of 13

@Alfred.DeFlaminis Sorry i am just speculating at the moment because of the style what they have on their artwork on their case

Message 12 of 13

If I am not mistaken that game is totally sprite based, so I'm not sure how people would get the 3D models.  It looked like original work to me, please confirm @Anonymous.  

Message 13 of 13

From what i remember you can download the characters example if you have the Diablo 2 Character Packs import the models into a 3D program on pc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report