Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

relax / soften or push / pull causes breaks in object

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
mahdaviFSF9D
468 Views, 5 Replies

relax / soften or push / pull causes breaks in object

relax / soften, push / pull and any sculpting causes these breaks. the more modification, the more breaks. How can I keep my object intact? 

2.jpg1.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
darawork
in reply to: mahdaviFSF9D

Hi,

The retopology add on would probably fix this for me, but I'm hardly ever dealing with character meshes, just landscape. So I'm probably not qualified to answer. I'd probably check the normals, to see if they're all outward facing. As of this post, I do not know of an automatic normal aligning tool in existance. It doesn't seem that hard to make to be honest, but nobody has yet unfortunately. A simple "this, or these selection of faces are 'outside'". My factors for choosing them to be outside are the following; Perpendicular to the Sun, Lighting, HDRi... please fix my normals. But nothing, Radio silence. I've tried loads of scripts, for the last twenty years, not one have them have been sucessful in properly flipping normals. All of the normals, all of the time 100% sucess rate. AI should be doing it. There is no reason why AI can't do it.

So to summise, I'd say it's flipped normals, in my limited knowledge of character modeling.

Regards,

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 3 of 6
domo.spaji
in reply to: darawork

@darawork wrote:

I do not know of an automatic normal aligning tool in existance.

Normal Modifier => Unify Normals

Message 4 of 6
domo.spaji

Your object was "broken" already. Modifications just made it visible.

So fix that meshes before modification (take a look at (basic) welding tools).

Message 5 of 6
mahdaviFSF9D

Thanks for the responses. I was able to resolve the issue by adding an edit poly modifier, selecting vertices and clicking weld. 

Message 6 of 6
darawork
in reply to: domo.spaji

Hi, yeah I've been using that for years. It works some of the time, all of the time. Anyways, it's great to hear that you fixed the issue. 🙂

Regards, 

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report