Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reflection is too bold on Vray

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
erlanggadhedy
601 Views, 6 Replies

Reflection is too bold on Vray

Good day,

I have two simple scenes that renders differently with vray in 3ds max. I need help of what makes the render result different especially the reflection (is too bold). The A result is good for me but it is lack of shadows on corners. Is there a way so i can make the scene with bold reflection (image B), to have soft reflection like the other one but still have that sharper shadows on corners. I hope my explanation is not confusing as i am new to this, please ask me if you need more material for my problem, any help is appreciated.

Best regards. Dedy

Tags (3)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Don't know if this is what you are after exactly, but if you have access to photoshop (or any similar photo editing software) you can combine the two renders to get what you are looking for.

I made a quick suggestion, but you would have to tweak it more to your liking probably.

I hope this is what you are looking for, your question wasn't crystal clear to me.

Message 3 of 7

@TheGiantAviator 

Hi,

Yes i have access and already thought of photoshop but i thought maybe i can get them in one render process. I am sorry, so they are different scenes, and i want to know what makes their render result different, i want sharper highlights and shadows like ones on the molding of the doors of the cabinets as shown on image B, but get nice soft reflection (of chairs) like ones on image A. Is it my render setup like irradiance or GI setting or others. I attached both scene files if you don't mind to analyze them. Scene A is the soft one (reflection and shadow) and the scene B is the bold one. I saved both in max 2023 and 2021. Please ask me if you need anything. Thanks for your feedback, i really appreciate it.

Tags (3)
Message 4 of 7
fco3d
in reply to: erlanggadhedy

I took a quick look at your files, and both scenes have very different light settings and arrangements.

One scene has Sunlight, dome light, and some extra interior lights; the other scene only has interior lights.

None of them are wrong, really just different approaches, and they should look different.

Now, in my opinion, I follow real-world rules. For example, if your room has windows, then I test using Sunlight, depending on the moth you are trying to achieve. After that, I place lights inside, just like it would be in a real room. Most of the time, that would be enough. But if things are not looking the way you need, then you can start adding 'fill lights', to accentuate some objects or areas. Think of the extra lights a Photographer would use.

If your room doesn't have windows then I only will use the interior lights and then some accent lights.

Having said all that, I also build my scene just like the real-world room will be, I don't use single planes for ceiling or floor. and I don't hide walls or make them semi transparent. There is a camera clipping feature on 3D Max camera, that you can use instead of transparent walls. Also, there is a VRay clipper if you need more control.

Last but not least. I would recommend to just forgetting about all the jumps and hoops you read online about V Ray settings, most of those are already outdated settings. Today's V Ray is very straightforward, you use default settings, increase your render noise threshold to render faster, or reduce it values to render and cleaner image.

You can activate the denoiser which will really help you with render times. Brute force method and Light cashe will render very high-quality images with very little effort. You could use Irradiance as the first bounce, but then you need to start dig up for settings, that by the time you achieve what you want, Brute force already has it rendered 😛

If I have time I can set up a scene for you to review what I talked about, but no promises. lately, I been very overwhelmed with projects.

But I would recommend resetting your V Ray settings, (Switch your render engine to Scanline then switch back to V Ray) then, deleting all lights, and just placing the one that there should be, maybe a sun, if there is a window, then a light inside the kitchen, maybe is a series of IES lights or a single 2x4 fluorescent light, then a light under the microwave as an accent light, and a light simulating light coming from the upper floor. And see how that goes. Don't forget so adjust the camera exposure as need it.

Best luck.

Message 5 of 7
darawork
in reply to: erlanggadhedy

Hi,'
I'd suggest 'Comping 'whatever you have gotten so far as elements.
Pngs, Tiffs whatever.
Then, I'd most likely restart my pc.

Regards,

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 6 of 7
erlanggadhedy
in reply to: fco3d

Good afternoon, @fco3d 

Most appreciated,  thank you. I will follow each of your direction. Because from what i tried interior without sunlight is hard. I am still learning how to do it properly. Thank you very much for good explanation.

Best regards.

Message 7 of 7
erlanggadhedy
in reply to: darawork

Good afternoon @darawork 

I have been trying it after many reboots, and yes i thougt it was my software. But anyway thanks for your good response. Have a nice day.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report