Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reassign deselect hotkey

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
4911 Views, 9 Replies

Reassign deselect hotkey

I've customized my mouse navigation UI to use Alt+LMB to orbit, much like Maya. I find this much more comfortable than using the MMB--in my case, a scroll wheel. However, I now don't seem to have the option to remove something from my selection, which would typically be Alt+LMB and I can't seem to find the option to reassign that in the customize UI menu.

Am I missing that somewhere? Is there any possible way of assigning a different key combination to remove from selection
Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
hagen.deloss
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous

Great to hear from you on the forums! I'm not seeing anything on the Customize User Interface keyboard list (that list is huge so I may be overlooking it). 

What I recommend is changing your interaction mode inside of 3DS Max to Maya mode, you can then add and subtract from your selection by Shift+clicking to either add or subtract from a selection. Here is an article outlining all the different changes you can expect using this mode. 

I hope this helps, if this isn't something that helps in your situation, let me know so we can come up with an alternative 😄

Talk to you soon!

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Hagen Deloss
Community Manager | Media & Entertainment
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: hagen.deloss

Thanks @hagen.deloss, I think you're right. This seems to be my best option for that. Initially I didn't want to go this route because I wanted to keep all the other preferences in that list as they are in default 3ds Max, but this may ultimately be a better setup if I want that deselect option back.  

Message 4 of 10
hagen.deloss

@Anonymous

Ergh, it sure would be nice if deselect was a mappable command! If you want to see any features implemented in newer versions of 3DS Max, you can suggest it on the 3DS Max Ideas page here. If you do make an Idea suggestion, please post it back here on this thread so folks viewing your conversation can vote for it 😄

Hagen Deloss

Message 5 of 10
syvoraksha

Hi @

However, the problem with setting Maya Mode Selection is that you lose the option of adding new selections like we used to have with ctrl+lmb.  shift+lmb adds new selections only if it was not selected before.  If the vertices/edges and so on are already selected, then shift+lmb will deselect it. 

So by solving the alt+lmb issue by going to Maya Mode Selection you recieve another issues with adding selection option like for ctrl+lmb on 3ds max mode selection. Is there a solution for that?

Also I can't make a copy of elements/objects by holding shift and moving the objects. Is there a solution for that too?

Thanks in advance

Message 6 of 10
hagen.deloss
in reply to: syvoraksha

Hi @syvoraksha 

Thanks for joining the conversation! 

When in Maya Interaction Mode, it looks like you can select multiple meshes by shift+clicking the meshes, wheres in 3ds Max mode, you would select the meshes by ctrl+clicking, does this help?

Regarding the duplicate issue, I'm not seeing any way to duplicate meshes in Maya mode via a hotkey, as that would normally be ctrl+D in Maya (which seems to have no effect in 3ds Max no matter what mode you are in.) It looks like this is noted in the documentation as well.

It looks like you can create a stationary clone with the hotkey ctrl+V, or navigating to Edit > Clone.

I hope this helps!

Hagen Deloss

Message 7 of 10
syvoraksha

Hi @eaglesham,

Thank you for being here. 

1.  In Maya navigation mode shift+click either adds to or subtracts. While in 3ds Max navigation mode ctrl+click only adds selection, it doesn't make substraction.

Is there a way in Maya mode when you only add to selections without subtracting? It can be very annoying especially when you get used to the way ctrl+click works in 3ds Max mode.

2. We can turn it out the other way. Is there a script/ a way how to change the  hotkey for alt+click in 3ds Max mode.

That will be really great as you can stay in 3ds Max mode, change the hotkeys for zooming/panning/rotation like maya has and still have access to the operation like alt+click

Message 8 of 10
syvoraksha
in reply to: syvoraksha

So far I have found in internet the way to make alt + click working for deselection even when alt + lmb assigned to rotation.

Press and drag lmb to select the elements you need to deselect, click and hold alt, then release lmb without moving.

Message 9 of 10
Ninurta

great
3 years passed
but autodesk still don't resolve it!!!
nice!
same problem after years!
autodesk has an army of programmers and millions of dollars, but they don't give a **** about their customers!

Message 10 of 10
Daz1989
in reply to: Ninurta

I'm fairly sure Max is being staffed by a skeleton 5 people dev team and they can't do 97% of what the community ask them to do... Looking at the update log from 2024 to 2025...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report