Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reassign ALT+MMB (Arc Rotate) To keyboard.

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
dan_sopala
358 Views, 4 Replies

Reassign ALT+MMB (Arc Rotate) To keyboard.

I would like to Reassign ALT+MMB (Arc Rotate) To something on the keyboard. Like ALT+K (or whatever) the reason I want to do this is that I want to then assign it to the back button on the mouse. I would love to just assign ALT+MMB in the mouse software, but most mouse software doesn't allow for both a keystroke and another mouse button. Is this possible? If there is another way to do this, that would also be helpful. thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
darawork
in reply to: dan_sopala

Hi,

This is the most versatile Keybinding software: https://www.autohotkey.com/
Although, I'm not going to try and emulate the scenario you ask for above, as I know it will take me a while to set-up and restore to my previous settings... I am pretty sure if you need something done, this is the software to do it.

I did try as a test to unassign ALT+MBB in Max, to see if it can be done natively in Max and without ALT+MBB assigned the viewport was just Arc Rotating as the default state whenever I moved my mouse (with no other keys pressed). Locked to one wildly spinning, out of Control. Viewport locked. So that was fun for a while. I had to bring up the Slate Material Editor to take focus away from the viewport until I fixed it back to defaults.

Regards,

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 3 of 5
dan_sopala
in reply to: darawork

Thanks, I'll look into that.
Message 4 of 5
dan_sopala
in reply to: darawork

Yay!

Thanks Darawork

Autohotkey did the trick! I had to employ my 16 year old coder son to do it for me.

I'm sure I could have figured it out, but as a non-coder it would have taken me some time.

Took him 10 minutes. 😀

here is the script if anyone needs it. It assigns Arc Rotate (Orbit) to the mouse back button...It's truly a better way to orbit

XButton1::
SEND, {LAlt Down}{MButton Down}
Return
XButton1 Up::
SEND, {LAlt Up}{Mbutton Up}
Return

Message 5 of 5
darawork
in reply to: dan_sopala

Hi, 

Great to hear that son could do this. He has a bright future ahead of him. As a coder. They make obscene amounts of money, holidays abroad, nice cars... Etc.

I used to use AutoHotkeys years ago for Photoshop. Long macros. Saves ages of typing out commands manually. It's macro recorder is easily best in the business, and free, nice to know it works as an overlay for max, without max grabbing focus.

Regards, 

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report