Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Licensing System Failed" error

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
1140 Views, 8 Replies

"Licensing System Failed" error

Greetings all!

I've just done a fresh re-install of windows x64 in order to test out 2009 for our studio.

After installing the software I double click the "Autodesk 3ds Max Design 2009 64-bit" icon to fire the app up, but get "The software licensing system failed to load its resource DLL."

When I click okay, nothing else happens (max exists).

Seen as this is a fresh install, I'm assuming I'm missing something. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, max 8 and max 9 both installed and registered fine...

Shane
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Possible causes:

1. The file can't be found because the file system is bad. Run chkdsk or the equivalent.
2. The system paths are wrong, so the right directories aren't being searched. Uninstall the software; reboot; reinstall.
3. The boot drive was changed. Resource DLLs are typically installed in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk. If drive C: changed, resources aren't found.
4. It's possible an install of older software caused a problem. Try to install software in release sequence in situations like this. If you install max 9 after 2009, it shouldn't replace a newer DLL... but stuff happens.
5. Etc. Read the release notes on the CD for possible other answers or specific installation instructions.

--Cy--
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

I thank you may have hit the nail on the head Cy_Shuster...

I don't believe I didn't think of it before. I've have problems with the system paths before. I'll double check those to start with and see where it takes me.

Cheers for the ideas
Shane
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

I know not why, but I seem to have got it working.

I uninstalled max8, max9, max2009, cleaned up the folders.

Installed 2009, registered...

Uinstalled 2009, installed 8 and 9...

They all seem to be playing nicely together now...

Cheers
Shane
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Your situation was the best of all cases: a fresh reinstall of the OS (assuming a prior disk format). A Good Luck Charm idea for next time is to reboot after each install, just so that all pending file and registry changes can be committed to disk. This is particularly important after an uninstall.

Glad you're running!

--Cy--
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Okay, we're beginning a roll out of 2009, but I've run into the same problem as described above.

Fresh install of windows xp 64, service pack 2
c++ Redist
Dot Net 1.1, 2 & 3.5
DirectX 9c

I've tried installing max 8 & max 9 first (both registered) then 2009. Uninstalling all, reinstalling only 2009, but nothing seems to be working.

Any ideas or suggestions??

The system path currently looks like:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\

Shane
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

Path looks OK, but you have 2 paths to Autodesk Shared. Also, on my system, C:\WINDOWS is replaced by (percent sign)SystemRoot(percent sign). I have XP32bit with Max9, 2008 and 2009. Also, your Backburner Path is missing.

The problem may be paths in the registry rather than paths in the Environment Variables as well.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

In my view, it's well worth having a reliable install, to avoid future problems. Honestly, this is the best possible situation for the installer.

1. Go back to the fresh Windows install (reformat if necessary).
2. Install each package in the order released.
3. Reboot after each install.

Rebooting is a necessary evil; you just can't replace some files that are in use.

I used to say it's just like you can't change the tires while the car's moving... then I saw the "Speed Racer" trailer! 🙂

--Cy--
Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

Hi Maneswar_Cheemalapati, the path is the fully qualified path...tend to do this to for sanity checking reasons...

I've been able to get it work on existing workstations, which makes me think I've missed some component some where...

Hi Cy_Shuster, yeah, I'm going back to a complete refresh install...going to look at making sure it is as up-to-date as possible.

I did have another funny issue on another server (existing installation) where it was missing a dx file, but with a dx9 reinstall, it solved it...what fun this is 🙂

The final servers only needs to have 2009 on it as they will be a render nodes, but I need to test the installation to make sure I'm getting everything we need before I roll it out to all our servers...

Shane

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report