Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Liquid simulation in 3ds max 2021, after processing it everything dissapears!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
wojciech.selwa
1093 Views, 3 Replies

Problem with Liquid simulation in 3ds max 2021, after processing it everything dissapears!

I've purchuased Indie version of 3ds max 2021 recently since I was using student's version of 2018. So I've tried fluids for the first time as I've been missing it previously, setting up everything correctly in simulation view, setting foam and mesh to generate with fluids, have my cache folder set up and after whole process is done, when I'm changing keyframe everything is dissapearing. I can't restore it from cache (importing process will start but nothing will appear) and I don't know what to do. I've done few simulations and the issue is always the same. 

Also, second problem is if I'll set up everything in simulation view and savie whole project, after restarting 3ds max and trying to run simulation agian I'm having this Simulation Output dialog box saying "Sim ERROR, Failure writing simulation output file (disk possibly full)" despite having almost 1TB of free space and it doesn't matter how big the simulation is as it happens also with small scenes.

Labels (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Please check your C drive. The SimCache folder will be created to capture all your simulations. 
C:\Users\*****\Documents\3ds Max 2021\SimCache. Bifrost files could be very large. 

Visibility issue:
Make sure to use the correct path in the Cache Directory Settings (Project Folder)

In the Display tab use the Bifrost Dynamic Mesh or Bifrost Cache Mesh

Message 3 of 4

So for SimCache I have found the solution. I have been using the right path but when trying to restart simulation with new settings I was getting this error because I wasn't clearing cache every time I was running new simulation on the top of that. So no more problem with dialog box.

But still...

For Cache Directory Settings I'm using right path which is set manually at the beggining of simulation (tried to run it with deafult path but with the same result), everything is dissapearing even seconds after finishing simulation just becuase It'll change keyframe or try o swich to different display settings. Even getting back to original frame or display settings wont bring the results back so I have to do everything from the beginning.

What I managed to do by now is right after finishing simulation, without touching keyframes or any settings I'm saving everything through mesher to alembic. That's the only way for me to bring back simulation after restarting project, but it will still miss foam etc. 

But if I will save project only and get back to it later, I can't get that simulation back, it's just not there despite generating fluid, foam and mesh in simulation before saving. Even setting path to original SimCahce folder won't help, but thts not even a case as it's always set to initial SimCache folder.

I do apologise for chaotic way of explanation, I'm trying to describe the problem as good as I can...

Message 4 of 4

Did you try to use a Fluid Loader? Select the "Add" option inside a loader dialog, fallow the path for your simulated data. 

Would you mind to record any short video with any screen capture app? It could give us a bettered ida of your workflow. I am attaching a short video below of my workflow.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report