Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with inverting normals

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
743 Views, 7 Replies

Problem with inverting normals

Hello! This would be my second post here, and my first one was just recently so i'm feeling a bit uncomfortable to write again and ask for help.

I've got my model here and the texture of the model is very weird, some parts are completely black and some are normal.

I was digging up on the internet what might have caused the problem and there were not many solutions. I've came to a clue it's the normals that might are causing the problem. I checked my normals by doing views > xView > Face Orientation

What i found is that some faces are facing inwards i'd say since it was showing up as green so i practically tried to invert those specific faces in order to fix the model. I've tried doing this, going to modify > polygon and then selecting all the faces that were showing in green. I selected most of them, not all of them since i cannot really select all of them, it's just too many. I was searching for a tool of some kind that would just invert all the inwards facing normals. I did not find anything like that, tho Maya had something called "Normals confirm tool" that would invert all the normals to the direction that are most normals facing to. Too bad that tool isn't available in 3DS Max, or is it?

Anyways, after selecting my green faces showed in xView and detaching them, i applied "normal" modifier to invert them. Nothing happened...

Maybe some of you experienced users can tell me what am i facing up to, i'd appreciate every help.

I'll provide my project file in the .obj format.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

normally...you just need to apply an Edit Normals modifier, then Unify and that should work....but your object is a bit 'dirty'...so this crashed the thing.

Import your object, go into Face/Poly mode select all faces, in Surface Properties>Normals>Unify. You should see the the object now looks almost right, except for a few polys....

If you use Xview you can check for where various errors are and try and fix them....same a putting an STL modifier on your object and Check...then try to fix them

(honestly I would just blow away the bottom round base coz it's far too dirty...just delete all the polys of the round base...and put in your brand new base made of a cylinder)

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

I deleted the bottom part and made a cylinder, looks good in my opinion. Fixed most of the normals but it indicated green (xView) on some edges that cannot be selected. 😕

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

let's say you use xview and got some defects total at the bottom...in your editable poly (or mesh), go into whatever mode, in this case edges, tho you might see 0 selected...if you now click on the green xview label at the bottom and click Select Results...they should then be selected (you might have to wiggle your viewport a bit for it to update)

Yes it is bloody ANNOYING that after you click Selected results....there's no tick there !!! The tick should be sticky !!! but it's not...**** annoying..but now you know...

Message 5 of 8
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous and welcome to the community,

It's taken me a while to get to this thread and I'd like to apologize for that.  Volume is great lately and I'm doing my best to catch up.  I want to mention that the community is here for you and please don't be shy or hesitate to ask any questions.  You are welcome here and I am very happy to have you. You can ask 100 questions (separate threads for each issue please) and I or community members will help.  That's why I'm here.  

That being said, is this issue resolved for you?  Are you all set now?  Thanks for the update!  If you still need help with this just say the word and show me where you're at and I'll do whatever I can for you.  

Best Regards,

Message 6 of 8
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous,

I just wanted to follow up here, any progress on this issue?

Best Regards,

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.DeFlaminis

I've successfully managed to solve my problem. Sorry for the cool down. This community is great!

Message 8 of 8
Alfred.DeFlaminis

That's very nice of you to say @Anonymous, thank you for the positive feedback!  Did you want to add anything to your post to be marked as a solution or key bit of info for the next person who finds this thread?  If not, no problem!  @Anonymous's post clearly helped based on your confirmation, I just thought I'd ask.

Thanks again and best regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report