Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem animating traffic

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
cmurdo2003
347 Views, 2 Replies

Problem animating traffic

Hi, thanks in advance for any help!

I've been adding traffic to a new project and suddenly I keep getting an error in the script. I'm using 3ds MAx 2018 Civil View plugin. I've place the vehicles using the Object Placement Style Editor. Then using the Civil View Explorer I have tried to animate vehicles coming to a stop at a red light by clicking the 'E' on the Position Controller rollout(in the Station Control section). Some vehicles work, others give me an error when I hit the 'E' button.

After the error messages I have to close the CV Explorer to get it working again, but it just crashes again when I try hit the 'E' button. Any of you wizards have any idea what is going on?

Here are the error messages I get:

civil3d script error.JPGcivil3d script error002.JPG

Thanks for any help!

Chris

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
RobH2
in reply to: cmurdo2003

If some vehicles work and others don't is it possible that the vehicle models are the issue? What if you take one of the vehicles that works and just use, say, 50 of it? Does everything work OK? If so, check the other vehicles for some sort of difference that makes them fail. 

Are your vehicles from the standard set in Civil View? If not, try using the ones included in Civil View and see if they misbehave. If so, then that makes it more difficult because they should all be OK. 

I used to use vehicles and traffic frequently exactly like you are and always found it very fluky and tender. The simplest little thing would crash the whole simulation. 

I don't think I helped you much here but I'm trying to help you think through it and diagnose. I'm not a coder so I can't give you any suggestions concerning what specifically that error means. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 3
cmurdo2003
in reply to: RobH2

Hey thanks for the response, Rob. Unfortunately every asset was stock. I think I had maybe 40 vehicles in the entire scene, too. Something about those traffic tools causes issues, maybe it's my machine BUT...I eventually discarded the Civil Traffic placement/animation tools and went back to my previous workflow and no issues, same amount of vehicles.

I think this traffic placement tool might work great for long stretches of large highways, but not major freeway intersections with multiple splines, but not really sure. I've seen over vids on Youtube that may be using CV tools(same cars). 

I do love the spline draping tool included in the Civil 3d Tools.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report