Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Object preview, moving, work with big objects

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Sammasam
353 Views, 5 Replies

1) Please give us opportunity to see object in the scene like in 3ds max version 2015.
Because it is not comfortable to work with objects when you see it like in the latest versions, there are too many black zones.
See attached screen and copmare. As you see there are no dark faces on the object in version 3ds max 2015.
You can just add this function in plus what we have in the latest versions. Nothing helps to solve it, no changing shade mode or viewport preferences etc.

2) "Orbit point of interest" work not good since it was added to 3ds max, and the same problem in the latest versions of 3ds max. Many time it doesn't focused on the object, also if you try tu turn around flipped normals etc. And the worst it work when you work with big objects or try to turn around from the close view of the object which is small part of a big object.

3) When you have a big object and try to move it it from perspective view it starts moving not smoothly but step by step - see attached video.

4) If you select some polygons, edges etc and try to move them from close view, almost always it doesn't work - see attached video. The same problem if you try to move hole object from close view. This problem is going from old versions up to the latest versions of 3ds max.

5) When you work with a big objetcs and try to come closer to some of its part or to some small polygon etc then very often you will not able to do it becose you just fly away and when you try to go back the same you will fly away from whole object, there are no way to work with small parts more smoothly. Especially if this part far away from "(xyz: 0)" coordinates. The only way is just to detach that small part, move it to the center (xyz: 0) and work with it separatelly. It is very uncomfortable.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
RobH2
in reply to: Sammasam

You don't mention what version of Max you are comparing to Max 2015 to. I can't reproduce any of the things you list. All of them behave in Max 2024 just like Max 2015. I think you have some other issue going on.

1. Have you tried and ENU reset?

2. Have you tried other 'Display Driver' modes?

3. Have you uninstalled and reinstalled video drivers?

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 6
Sammasam
in reply to: RobH2

Thank you for answer.

You mean your objects moves without "steps" when you work with a big objects?
And you can move polygons from close view?

Just look at my videos you will see everything.

About preview object in the scene I met it in version 2024 and in some other versions, only in version 2015 everything is displayed fine.
And yes, I tried everything you mentioned, nothing help.

Message 4 of 6
RobH2

Yes, I can move witout steps, can move polygons from close view, etc. I don't have any of those problems.

But if it's working fine on 2015 and not in 2024 then there is something causing the problems that is all related. 

Max 2024 shipped with a lot of defects. This might be one of them. I'd report it as a potential "Bug" and see if you can get any assistance. https://www.autodesk.com/company/contact-us/product-feedback

Rob Holmes

EESignature

3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
Message 5 of 6
Sammasam
in reply to: RobH2

The same problem on 3ds max 2018, 2012 etc. At this moment only version 2015 doesn't have this issue

Message 6 of 6
RobH2

Maybe it's just the way different versions of Max handle different large objects. How many polys is the large object you are trying to move? The larger the object, the more verts that have to be tracked in real time to move them all. Each version of Max has slight changes to how it works and maybe for some reason, 2015 had a better algorithm for that. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report