Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No preview of map in viewport

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
colbyroper
240 Views, 3 Replies

No preview of map in viewport

I am working in 3ds Max 2024 and Windows 10 and Vray.  I have multiple maps on one object and using muliti-sub-object.  Everything is set up correctly as well as channel maps.  I contacted Chaos Group and they confirmed everything is set up correctly and they have seen many issues with this with Max 2021-2025.  They insured it is a Max issue because it happens to many others not using Vray.
I have never have had this issue in my many years of using the program and jumped from max 20 to max 24.  I installed all updates and I still can not get the preview to work.  In the example I attached is a tire with bumps for the sidewalls and tread.  The tread does not show up even after many attempts to show in viewport, but does show up in the render.  I feel it is an inefficient way to set up your maps by having to render to adjust and dial in your map.  Has anyone found a solution for this bug?  Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
RobH2
in reply to: colbyroper

There have been a lot of posts stating issues with map display in the viewports in relation to Max 23, 24 and 25. I think Max 25 has possibly solved most of them. But I still think it's a little fluky and we have to endure the pain till it gets worked out. A lot of sweeping changes were made to the Material Editors in Max 24 and Max 25 and I think there are some growing pains unfortunately. 

I'd encourage you to report it. The more reports they get the more likely they'll address the issues. But for now I think we just have to work around it. 😞

SUPPORT CONTACTS----

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-forum/how-to-contact-autodesk-technical-support/m-p/12834730

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 4
colbyroper
in reply to: RobH2

Thanks for letting me know RobH2.  I guess it is what it is.  I am working on anther object, where I did have the map showing up for a short time and trying to get it to work and then the map stopped showing up entirely.  I tried contacting Autodesk, but not sure if it went through.  Received a message to change the type of account to contact them.

Message 4 of 4
RobH2
in reply to: colbyroper

You are experiencing what a lot of people are. I've used Max since before V1 and I had no issues until Max 22 or 23. Now and then the maps just don't work. The next day, they do. I think there is really some sort of bug that needs addressing. Max 2024 seems to have corrected it so far. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report