Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New object material

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
652 Views, 3 Replies

New object material

Hello. I have a really frustrating thing that i cannot solve for a very long time. So what's the deal. When im creating a new object in the scene it has random assigned color as default. Thi is what i want: Whenever im creating a new object in a every scene i want it to have black edges and gray surface color. I know how to make every new object gray but its important form to have black edges (not gray as they on the left side). I searched everywhere but didnt dind the answer. Hope you can help me out1c2.JPG

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
shawnolson
in reply to: Anonymous

The colors you see are not technically materials, they are actually just the wirecolor property of objects. You can assign that to specific color by using the Wire Color Dialog. If you uncheck the Assign Random Colors checkbox, the colors will always be the color you specify.

Note that if you want to see black edges, you will need to assign a Black object color. Unfortunately, this is not working like you want out-of-the-box because of the way the edges appear--your whole object will be black and the edges will be white. To get around this, apply a material to your object (to match your example, use a material with a gray diffuse/albedo/base color (depending on material you use).

There are scripts on the internet or you could write your own that applies such a material to new objects automatically when objects are created.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: shawnolson

Thanks for reply. I knew about it though. I tried to find the script but didnt find it. Maybe you know some script for my case?

Message 4 of 4
shawnolson
in reply to: Anonymous

Two options I know of:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report