Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED HELP with basics

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
martinkah223
401 Views, 6 Replies

NEED HELP with basics

Hey!

So I am new to 3D Studio Max and need help with the basic things, so please don´t judge me haha..

So I have a model made in blender, and wanted to make some renders of it in Blender. I downloaded a bathroom 3d scene, which is format .max and now i don´t know how to convert or open this scene in blender or vice versa. (But i would prefer blender because i´m used to that program, hope it´s allowed to say this)

When I open the scene in 3dsmax,  it says, lots of things are missing and i see a black screen! No scene. I don´t know how to convert this file of the scene into another format (so i can open it in blender)

Need this for school work, appreciate every help or tip, ty!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Diffus3d
in reply to: martinkah223

Best bet is to do the tutorials that come with 3dsmax until you understand more of it.  

That being said, your post is impossible to follow.  You have a scene in blender, prefer blender, and want to use blender for it.  Why don't you just do that?  Or were you supposed to MAKE a scene in 3dsmax and you're just trying to cheat on your homework by exporting a blender scene to Max so you can say you did it?  

Either way, the fix is to read the manual.  🙂  Nobody is going to help you cheat on your homework.  

Best Regards,

Message 3 of 7
martinkah223
in reply to: Diffus3d

Jesus.. I am not cheating. I made i MODEL OF A PRODUCT, and want to make a few renders OF IT in download scene. (which we are allowed to do, because it's just a background for the porduct)

But i don't know how to export or open these both things (downloaded SCENE and MY MODEL) in the same program.

Thank you. 

Message 4 of 7
martinkah223

SCENE is made in 3DSMAX i suppose (it is format .max) and MY MODEL is made in blender 

Message 5 of 7
Diffus3d

That makes more sense.  Chances are your materials are not supported when you import the model which could make them black. (I suppose an unsupported graphics card will also make the entire viewport black.)   You'll need to do the following to get going:

1) Pick a renderer that you'll be using.

2) Apply materials that are compatible with that renderer.  Relink textures as needed.
3) Setup lights and cameras.
4) Render.

There's a lot to each of those things but that's the general gist of it.  The errors are probably due to the textures not being where they should be, you can use the Asset Tracker to relink them. 

Best Regards,

Message 6 of 7
martinkah223
in reply to: Diffus3d

Thank you!

Also sorry for my bad and not very understandable english.

Appreciate your help

Message 7 of 7
Diffus3d

No I owe you an apology, not the other way around.  I have no idea what go into me there.  Sorry for that and thanks for talking it through.  

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report