Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple 3ds Max instances open + Saving = Lag

259 REPLIES 259
SOLVED
Message 1 of 260
DGTLTWNS
16605 Views, 259 Replies

Multiple 3ds Max instances open + Saving = Lag

Hi,

I have a few reports of people with 3ds Max 2020, 2022, 2023 (haven't tested 2021) slowing down our workstations, when multiple instances of 3ds Max are open and (auto)saving.

I have recorded a video of this here: https://youtu.be/zzsiOCMhHr8

First part of the video is me saving with only one instance open. Second part (00:18) is with a second file open in another instance. As you can see my workstation grinds to a halt and my cursor is barely moving. It seems I'm not the only one. This started happening a couple of months ago. Maybe a Windows update caused this or something. I looked at my Windows 10 update history in the last half year and most of them are .NET updates.

Can people with the same experience confirm, and could Autodesk investigate this please, because this is super annoying.

Thank you.

Uploaded by Vizioen Architectural Visualizations on 2022-10-08.
259 REPLIES 259
Message 221 of 260
Diffus3d
in reply to: DGTLTWNS

Sure is weird. 

Message 222 of 260
RobH2

Would there be any wisdom to just reaching out on ASUS & MSI forums to let them know what's going on over here? There might even be some chatter about Max on their forums, if they have them.

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 223 of 260
info2V35E
in reply to: RobH2

Can't hurt!
Message 224 of 260
DGTLTWNS

Well things are getting more weird. I just now received a comment on my FB post in stack, someone who mentions having this on an INTEL system. Who swears he didn't have it until he put a second GPU.

And also comments on the same post of 2 people with Ryzen + ASUS motherboard who don't have that problem, or so they say.

So...back to square one. If indeed some people with Intel are now also suffering from this, than I have no clue anymore.
Message 225 of 260
RobH2
in reply to: info2V35E

Quote: "Oh ok. Why do forum replies on this forum not automatically quote the thing I'm replying to?"

It's easy enought to just copy and paste what you want to "Quote" and then write below it as a workaround, like I did with this one. That won't solve it for other users, but at least yours will have the relevent info you want to reference.

Rob Holmes

EESignature

3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
Message 226 of 260
info2V35E

I know, but why would a forum choose to even allow this behavior? It's nonsensical.
Message 227 of 260
RobH2

For over 25-years I've told people the 3ds Max Forum is one of the best on the planet. We have access to some of the best 3d talent in the world because a lot of them cruise through here now and again. And we don't often suffer from the inane and sophmoric banter that destroys a lot of other forums.

So, I for one, am willing to overlook an oddity with the structure of the forum. There could be a good reason for it. Maybe there is a setting in your profile to change it, not sure.

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Message 228 of 260
info2V35E

Wow. Hit a nerve, did I?
Message 229 of 260
DGTLTWNS

Let's not get sidetracked with the flaws of this forum.

You guys might have overlooked my previous post stating that it might not be limited to AMD processors anymore either.

Message 230 of 260
Diffus3d

Does anyone with the problem get any info in their windows event viewer logs?

Best Regards,

Message 231 of 260
DGTLTWNS
in reply to: Diffus3d

I've checked about anything, even with procmon (although I'm not an expert in this), nothing to find. What worries me is that there are reports of people with Intel too.

Message 232 of 260
info2V35E

Just spoke to a colleague of mine with some interesting info. He's NOT using an AMD and confirms this behavior.

Pertinent info:

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 19045) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2673 v3 @ 2.40GHz (48 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

262144MB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080

He has a HP Z840 Workstation and I believe the motherboard is HP. 

So neither AMD or Asus/MSI (unless HP source their mobos from one of those two suppliers).

Message 233 of 260
DGTLTWNS

Yes I have confirmation on the Facebook stack group that some intel users are experiencing the same problem. So in short we can say this has nothing to do with AMD only. It's something that applies to AMD as well as Intel, and as well as other motherboards. There's no red thread in this whole thing.

And in short: Autodesk's explanation of it's an AMD Ryzen problem is FALSE. 

Which brings us back to square 0. 

Message 234 of 260
info2V35E

He did say that his previous install was max 2020 and it did not exhibit
the problem. He is now using 2023
Message 235 of 260
DGTLTWNS

In the beginning of 2020, when I was using my 3970x as a daily workstation with 3dsMax 2020 I didn't have these problems either. Although I have one or two reports of users having this problem with 2020 as well.

Honestly I don't know what to do anymore. I'd like to invite Autodesk to look at this whole thread and some of my FB stack posts + comments. I'll open a new ticket with our new findings and hopefully they'll be more inclined to get to the bottom of this.

Message 236 of 260
DGTLTWNS

FYI. I've opened a new ticket with our 'new' findings.

Message 237 of 260
info2V35E

much appreciated
Message 238 of 260
DGTLTWNS

Well, I received a reply back. Besides, we know, we're working on it and thanks for the additional info. Nothing substantial unfortunately, no ETA given due to policies. 

Message 239 of 260
info2V35E

Well at least they're aware of it as a real problem and not just forum
whiners...
Message 240 of 260
Diffus3d

Having some sort of data (like you all collected) is key to getting something like this looked at because how do you even reproduce something like this if it doesn't happen to devs or beta testers on their machines?  Tough one.  I'd say you all did a good job of being a team and making it happen and knowing they have logged it means it's on the radar.  It's nice to see this level of cooperation. 

Best Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report