Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing toolbar buttons in the Customize User Interface panel? (picture)

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
oyvind3BPMJ
644 Views, 9 Replies

Missing toolbar buttons in the Customize User Interface panel? (picture)

All the buttons disappeared, from every single toolbar inside customize user interface.

This issue has also happened to my coworker, so it's not just me.

Any help appreciated, but I'm reluctant to reset everything, hopefully it's not needed

oyvind3BPMJ_0-1663145807213.png

Where the red circle is, there should be buttons - these buttons are not missing anywhere else except inside the CUSTOMIZE USER INTERFACE window. So: I can use the buttons as normally, but I can't edit the toolbars with this window

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Diffus3d
in reply to: oyvind3BPMJ

Hello @oyvind3BPMJ ,

I haven't encountered this before but I saw another user with the same problem a few months ago.  I wonder if it's trying to populate that list but doesn't have permission to write or something.  Does the problem persist if you run 3dsmax as administrator?

Best Regards,

Alfred (AJ) DeFlaminis

EESignature

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

View Max Tips/Tricks Megathread
Message 3 of 10
oyvind3BPMJ
in reply to: Diffus3d

I tried running 3dsmax as administrator, to no avail. Nothing changed 😞

Message 4 of 10
Diffus3d

I'm not sure what would cause this, I can only guess.  Is there a lot of startup scripts from plugins?  Maybe a conflict with a script?   Best advice of course is to reset your user settings, but I know that's a last resort for you.  (Understood.)   

If it's not a script or macroscript conflict of some kind, maybe it has to do with DPI scaling but I doubt it because you aren't have UI issues anywhere else.  

Best Regards,

Alfred (AJ) DeFlaminis

EESignature

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 5 of 10
oyvind3BPMJ

I actually have multiple 3ds max versions installed, 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020 and 2019 at the moment.

So I opened then ew 2023 version, where I have no custom scripts and haven't actually worked in it yet.

But it has the same problem: No buttons inside toolbar.

All my maxes have this problem, whether they are customized with startup macros/scripts or not!

Message 6 of 10
Diffus3d

I have spent some time on this recently, I don't think there are supposed to be buttons there in the toolbar tab.  There is for quads and menus tabs, but not for toolbars.  The idea being that you drag those onto your toolbar that already exists.   (or just check hide/unhide to bring it to front to work on.)  

I have checked back as far as 2016, no buttons there except the quick access toolbar buttons which were removed around 2018 by popular request.  

So good news, nothing is wrong.  We're just mistaken, as far as I can tell. 

Best Regards,

Alfred (AJ) DeFlaminis

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
oyvind3BPMJ

Seems you're right. I guess it was confusing with all the tutorials where there was buttons and stuff there...

Message 8 of 10
Diffus3d

Were they older tutorials perhaps when that menu still existed?  

Best Regards,

Alfred (AJ) DeFlaminis

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
oyvind3BPMJ

Yes, they were. 2016 I think! So of course it looks different.

They could've slapped on a little "this window is supposed to be empty" in the toolbar customizer, haha!

Message 10 of 10
Diffus3d

Nice!  Well, I was fooled too so you are not alone.  Together, we got through it!   Thanks for taking the time to follow up!

Best Regards,

AJ

Alfred (AJ) DeFlaminis

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report