Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Menus are sometimes oversized, blurry and off screen with a virtual display

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
1410 Views, 3 Replies

Menus are sometimes oversized, blurry and off screen with a virtual display

Hello I am new to 3DS max so I am sorry if this has been posted and I didn't see it. I can't reproduce the issue all the time, it just seems to come and go and I haven't figured out why.

I'm trying to run 3DS Max 2021 across two "monitors", and sometimes there is this problem: the drop-down menus (File, Edit etc.) and sometimes other UI bits are blurry and oversized, I think some menus show up completely off-screen where I can't see them. Not always all of the menus, sometimes only certain drop-downs like File and Customize, other times all of them, and then sometimes just one only. Floating viewports can also behave oddly - even if they are on the main laptop display - like randomly pulling the view out to max zoom distance when I have definitely not touched any keys or mouse, or not responding to inputs to pan or orbit but still allow to zoom and select objects in the floating viewport.

If I hover the mouse where the menu should be as normal place, the options light up blue like I am over it - except the visual menu is bigger and further right on the screen (I put pics and setup info below because the setup is unusual).

Setup info: Normal laptop on the right (1920x1080) and iPad as monitor on the left (2388x1668). I use the software EasyCanvasPro to use the iPad as a monitor which also supports the Apple Pen pressure sens, and I have not had this issue in other programs like Photoshop, Adobe XD, Word or Powerpoint etc. I have a Tourbox accessibility item and X-Button Mouse Control, but neither have caused problem with 3DS Max before.

3DS max is set to use the dGPU in the Windows graphics settings (2080ti max-q). I don't know if EasyCanvasPro display functions actually count as "monitor" to the dGPU because settings in NVidia Control Centre say there's only internal display attached to the system, but Windows display settings can see and identify both of them. Also with this method, f.lux does not work on the iPad screen itself, so I think Windows can see it but other programs/dGPU cannot see it fully? If I use HDMI or USB-C dummy plug to make a virtual monitor then NVidia recognises it as a monitor, but it is very laggy to use the dummy display with EasyCanvasPro instead of EasyCanvasPro's built in "extend display".

1st pic: Mouse over where drop menu should be, it shows really big and far away but still lights up

2nd pic: Windows identifying both displays, and display settings for iPad

3rd pic: Drop menu appears half off screen at far right, all the other menus after that one I can't see but I assume they are beyond the edge of display

4th pic: screenshot from iPad at original resolution (blurry because I compressed to be less than 5mb to post it), UI strip on left side is from EasyCanvasPro

Again sorry if there is already solution, but I don't know the words to find it 😅

desktop ss 1.pngdesktop ss 3.pngdesktop ss 2.pngipad_ssc.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
DanielCantin
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi, the issue you are encountering seem similar to those happening when using 2 monitors with different scaling values and using 3ds Max dialog on both screens, the workaround would be to have the display share the same scaling value or use 3ds Max on only one screen. You can normally reduce the resolution of a screen instead of using the scaling to adjust the size of UI elements. I don't know if that is possible to adjust in your setup.

Daniel Cantin
QA, 3ds Max
Entertainment Creation Products, DCP
Message 3 of 4
graham3D4DT

I have this problem or similar and I my monitors are not at different resolutions. I have 3 monitors at 2560 x 1440 native resolution with 8gb Nvidia RTX 3070Ti, 32gb ram. - i9-12

It is a fresh installation of 3DS Max 2023. (I have not yet imported my custom settings/layouts from the previous version)

The problem: The main top bar menus are enlarged with the top half going out of reach off the screen so I cannot get at those the menu. For example the "Tools" menu like this when selected : (notice that the font size is also bigger) 

Tools Menu: Enlarges and first items off screen and inaccessible.Tools Menu: Enlarges and first items off screen and inaccessible.

Message 4 of 4
infoLHDY6

same, it turns out we indeed had different scaling for the monitors (125% and 100%). Will try if is that

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report