Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAX2014 SP1 Problem

26 REPLIES 26
Message 1 of 27
miketruly
1704 Views, 26 Replies

MAX2014 SP1 Problem

I downloaded and successfully installed the MAX2014 SP1 update then rebooted the system.  When I go to start MAX2014, I now get an error message that says:

3dsmax.exe - Unable to locate component

The application has failed to start because dxgi.dll was not found.  Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Any ideas how to add this file to XPx64 running MAX2014 SP1?

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Mike Truly
--------------------------------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com
26 REPLIES 26
Message 21 of 27
Steve_Curley
in reply to: miketruly

It's all about DX11 which isn't available for XP. Even if you were to copy every missing dll (of which there be a lot) there's every chance it won't work and could lead to other s/ware malfuctioning, including XP itself. Probably best to either live without the SP or install w7.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 22 of 27
miketruly
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Which was exactly my point.  I was just mentioning that I didn't want to proceed further down that path in an attempt to get the SP to work.

I will be installing Win7 at some point down the road, but now that the entire render pipeline will be broken by this SP, that will make the hassle/cost of upgrading even more frustrating... given that there is a perfectly functioning pipeline right in front of me.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Mike Truly
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com
Message 23 of 27
timd1971

Why 7? 8 is better. And microsoft will be releasing a nice update for all those that just cannot do without a start button on the menu bar. Plus many other nice things. Most people just cannot get used to the fact that thr start button is metely the metro ui when u press the WINDOWS key.

8 really is a nice hybrid for desktops, tablets, and phones. And even is built around touch... Not seeing that YET on a imac???? So 8 is really a good move and works quite fine.... For all of those scared to death of change.
Message 24 of 27
spacefrog_
in reply to: timd1971

Please don't bring Win7 vs Win8/Metro discussion into this thread. This would totally destroy the purpose of the thread and make it unreadable...

BTW: here's a quote from my post on cgsociety about my findings 

Seems the culprit is "GraphicsDriver.dll" in the Maxroot folder, which now depends on that "dxgi.dll" since SP1. And this "dxgi.dll" is only part of DX10 or up.
"GraphicsDriver.dll" is the only binary in the whole Max folder which introduced this dependency. Various attempts to copy those dll over or hacking some dll references did'nt help, but maybe this would be a small issue to fix by introducing a OS version check inside that "GraphicsDriver.dll".

But i would'nt hold my breath, as XP64 is'nt really supported any longer

Josef Wienerroither
Software Developer & 3d Artist Hybrid
Message 25 of 27
Steve_Curley
in reply to: spacefrog_

Max 2008 worked fine on Win2K, Max2009 refused point blank to install. Fine. Annoying but was simple and effective.
Max2014 installed and works fine on XP but an SP breaks it completely??? There's no excuse for allowing the base product to install and work and then breaking it with a service pack.
As for "unsupported"...
Max Help > What's new in 2014 > What's new in Viewports. "The Nitrous Direct3D 9 driver is still available for XP users.". Now, if that's not implicit, if not explicit, support for XP I don't know what is.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 26 of 27
miketruly
in reply to: Steve_Curley

I certainly would have preferred that it was broken on the major release rather than a SP.  As for the references in the helpfile to it working on XP, they definitely are there and it's certainly sloppy and confusing but a kindly Autodesk person contacted me and assured me they would be removed from the documentation.

As for why Win7... because that's what's sitting shrinkwrapped on the shelf (and has been for some time).  No I won't go and buy the latest and greatest because some fanboy thinks I should... an OS is an OS despite whas MS says.

Thanks again to all for the ideas!

Sincerely,

Mike Truly
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com
Message 27 of 27
Steve_Curley

Removing the references after the event is not a solution, it's a cover-up. They should admit their mistake and fix the SP. If 2015 is to be W7 or later and will not install on XP then so be it, at least we know where we stand, provided they tell us in advance, of course.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report