Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max 2016 constant crashing in windows 10

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
Anonymous
4198 Views, 17 Replies

Max 2016 constant crashing in windows 10

All I'm doing is some basic modelling with edit poly and it crashes within 30 mins. It just comes up with the window saying "A software problem has caused 3ds max to close unexpectedly". I think the details of the crash are in the attatched folder, but I cant open the files.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm having the exact same issue, I am just trying to learn the program and once I have 10 objects it'll crash

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous

I have noticed the crash happen when I am using the gizmo/widget with either movement, rotating, scaling. What about you?

Message 4 of 18
ads_delesdr

Are you using an AMD video card?

You should update your drivers and see if that helps: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+10+-+64

Let us know how it goes!

-RickD

Rick D

Senior QA Analyst - 3ds Max

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous

I'm having the same issue.

3D Studio Max 2016 (Student License) running on Windows 10. It worked fine before upgrading to W10.

I have an AMD video card and drivers are up to date.

It constantly crashes/freezes when adding segments, handling gizmos or by just doing something.

Any help Autodesk?

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous

I also have 3dsmax 2016 with an AMD graphics installed on Windows 10. It seems the problem is in the nitrous viewport because if you have the display driver on DirectX 11 always cause it to crash probly because windows 10 has a new DirectX 12 and it's not yet compatible. Does anybody know if Autodesk is going to release a patch to fix this?

Message 7 of 18
Steve_Curley

Eventually, just not yet.
http://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Windows-10-support-for-Au...

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous

Yep I have a R280X, all up to date.

Hopefully it will be sorted soon-ish. Does that article apply to 3ds max?

Message 9 of 18
Steve_Curley

It applies to ALL Autodesk products which run on Windows.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 10 of 18
Kelly_Michels

There are known issues with AMD cards and AMD has informed us that this issue is looking to be fixed in the next AMD WHQL release before the end of year.

Kelly Michels
3ds Max Senior QA
3ds Max Feedback Community Manager
ECP Division Feedback Community Administrator
kelly.michels@autodesk.com
Message 11 of 18

AMD have now posted a driver that should address the issue.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+10+-+64

Radeon Software 315 MB Crimson Edition 16.1 Hotfix 1/7/2016

I have not tried the fix myself yet but we will be reviewing it and I will follow up here.

Kelly Michels
3ds Max Senior QA
Message 12 of 18
MikeMiller72

I have been getting that frustrating issue non-stop, it appears that when i try to rotate a simple object, 3dsmax crashes without warning. My Girlfriend is now telling me "I don't know how i can endure you" because of my bad caracter each time it crashes...I hope this gets resolved soon. This error has been happening on all my other PC's all of which are AMD....maybe it has something to do with this..maybe not. I'm in complete darkness regarding this issue.

I also am learning to use the software, i downloaded the student edition, however if the student edition is any indication of the actual software, then i'm definetly not going to pay 1200$ a year license.

Ps Desktop#1 Crashes 10x more than Desktop #2 and it has been updated with all the newest drivers, including a 250 mb patch from autodesk. Desktop#2 crashes less frequently, however compared to the laptop it crashes often....i am getting better results with a 4 year old laptop than with upgraded computers.

Desktop#1                                Desktop#2

Watercooled (cooler master)      Aircooled (Cooler Master)

AMD FX-9590 8core 16 GB         Quad core 16GB

200 GB SSD                             500 GB Sata

R9 290X 4GB                            R9 265X 2GB

Laptop A6-3400

Quad core 6GB

Crossfire

Message 13 of 18

Going to test this immediately, thanks for the heads up.
Message 14 of 18

How did it go Mike, is it now resolved for you with the AMD hotfix?

Kelly Michels
3ds Max Senior QA
Message 15 of 18

O.M.G sorry it took two weeks to answer you, i have been having other issues to deal with. I will promptly reboot and tell you in a minute.... if it take longer than that, it means it works...just in case because i don't have the habit of posting stuff....or what happens is i post too much and forget to answer everyone back....you can bet if i don't repost here, it's because all is fine...My laptop hasn't flinch for a minute with the new drivers....

Mike..

Message 16 of 18

Hi MichelK,

I have just installed the HOTFIX from AMD, seems that i am still having the same problem unfortunetly.  The strange thing is on my Laptop, if i use the gimble for rotating, i get the hour glass happening, but it will refresh itself out automatically even under lots of stress, meaning it will refresh itself out of the error mostlikely 9 times out of 10.  

My main computer however, the problem is way worse.  I clearly remember an update for 3dsmax that was applied shortly before, it automatically searched for the error...and reported back to me that my software was out of date.  so i updated it i think it waS A 200MB PATCH   After that update my computer would have errors even more frequently.  8 times out of 10.

On my GF's computer it would happen about 3 times out of 10 under the same workload, as i am working the same file on all three of my machines. Again i am sorry to report it didn't improve my experience, mostikely cause in my opinion, something about the memory not refreshing properly, on my laptop it successfully gets out of the hour glass, on my other main computers it just crashes.

Mike.

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous

I had the same issue with 3ds Max 2016 and I had my drivers up to date (I think it was v15.3...) so I installed the hotfix availabe at the amd webpage (16.1.1) and I think it crashes even more!

There is no way of knowing when it is going to crash but almost everytime I modify gizmos it crashes and sometimes, when I'm working with all 4 views, if I orbit an object with Alt+MiddleClick on a non ortographic view it also crashes.

Hope this can help finding out what is happening.

Message 18 of 18
Anonymous

You guys are unfortunate! I installed the hotfix (although my version shows as 15.12) and not had any crashes since.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report