Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Materials stacked in editor

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
colbyroper
516 Views, 2 Replies

Materials stacked in editor

I upgraded a few models to Max 2020 and all my materials are stacked on top of each other.  I had everything nice and neat in my old file and now I have to drag the materials away from other ones, then whatever I have leashed into it I have to move out of the way as well.  There are a lot of materials and will probably take me a week just to clean up the materials in the editor again for the 5 models I upgraded.  I have to upgrade a few more models as well since I no longer have the older version of Max and I am sure will have to fix the materials for those models as well.  Is there a faster way to separate them out again?  Why do the materials come in that way after an upgrade anyway?  It is silly that it does that.

Thanks.

Labels (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
10DSpace
in reply to: colbyroper

@colbyroper 

The 2 tools you may find helpful in your situation are "Lay out all" available from View Menu in the Slate Material Editor (Hotkey is "L") which distributes all of the material in the view vertically so that they do not overlap and "Lay Out Children" (also available in view menu; Hotkey = C)  which lays out the bitmaps plugged into the individual slots of any selected materials. 

Message 3 of 3
colbyroper
in reply to: 10DSpace

Thanks, 10DSpace, that worked. Now I can grab them in the tall stack and
arrange them back into groups how I did before. Funny my hotkeys aren't
working in the material editor, they are activating what it would do in the
viewport. So it will go to the left view and Animate even though I am in
the material editor. I can just manually go the ribbon dropdown easily
enough.

Thank you,

Colby

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report