Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material Slate Editor - Meaning of different colour nodes

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
darawork
3213 Views, 4 Replies

Material Slate Editor - Meaning of different colour nodes

Hi,

Ok, so I've been trying to export to .obj for use in an Augmented Reality application.
The materials all translate fine, except for three instances.
I have noticed that the ones that don't translate have a solid colour node background, the ones that do convert correctly have a grey strip or grey/red strip, see below image:

I what most of what the cryptic colourings and borders mean, but why are these different?

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Steve_Curley
in reply to: darawork

Right-click the Bitmap node > Show Shaded Material in Viewport. It's the equivalent of the Show Map in Viewport button in the Compact (old) Mat Editor. Solid colour node = off, striped node = on. Why that should have an impact on exporting I have no idea.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 5
CAMedeck

A red slash means the map is set to display in viewport. The grey slash means an instance of that material is in another view of Slate.

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
darawork

Thanks Guys, I knew what the red strip was but not the grey.
@Steve, I don't know why these 'Standard' materials will not show up ok in the .obj. This was the only thing that looked different. I'll try again on Monday, I'll let you know then if it worked or not. I'm trying to get my model to work in AugmentPro for iPad. It's only a recent enough application and it seems a bit flaky with imports so far. They are developing a V2 with MAX integration, it will be released in two weeks. Hopefully it's not as demanding as this current build.

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 5 of 5
darawork

Double post.

Darawork
AutoDesk User

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report