Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop for 3ds max 2017

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
14276 Views, 14 Replies

Laptop for 3ds max 2017

Hi guys

I know this is a periodic topic that comes out often, so I apologize for that. I checked the forum, the newest is dated back to 2016 anyway.

But as I'm going to buy a (maybe) 2000 usd or more machine, I want to be sure it can handle 3ds max finely.

What I have to do with Max mainly is interior design and rendering. 

I've been googling for quite a long now, and basically I couldn't get any clear reply about those questions:

1- GPU: Can other GPUs not listed in the recommended hardware work fine with Max? The gpu that I'm talking about are:

- Geforce GTX 1060 6gb gddr5

- Quadro M1200 4gb gddr5

- Geforce GTX 1050 4gb gddr5

- Geforce 940 MX 2gb gddr5

I can buy a laptop with a Quadro M2000 that is listed, but no one of those that I found really fancy me that much.

2- i7 or xeon? Can an i7 quad core works fine or is it much better a Xeon?

That's it.

About the laptops, my options are:

1- Razer Blade 14" 4K

i7-7700HQ quad-core

Geforce GTX 1060 6gb gddr5

16 gb of memory

512 gb or 1 tb SSD hard drive

2- Dell Precision 5520

i7-7820HQ quad-core or Xeon E3 1505M quad-core

Quadro M1200 4gb gddr5

16 or 32 bg

512 gb or 1 tb SSD

3- Dell xps 15"9560

i7-7700HQ quad-core

Geforce GTX 1050 4gb gddr5

16 (+16) gb 

512 gb SSD

4- last option

HP Spectre x360 15"

i7-7500 dual-core :((

Geforce 940 MX 2gb gddr5

16 gb

512 gb SSD

I'm open to other options, but not bigger than 15"

Really many thanks for your help.

Regards

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
jamesw
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

All great machines but I would defiantly go for a Xeon chip. They are more robust and great for CPU rendering. I've had machines with Xeon chip rendering for 5 years without any problems. 

With regards to graphics cards I have always stuck with Nvidia as these are considered the best also mental ray is made by Nvidia, although that's not included in Max now. The Nvidia Quadro cards are the best and will last but they are generally more expensive. GTX cards are for gaming but are great for VR as well. 

Xeon E3 1505M quad-core

Quadro M1200 4gb gddr5

16 or 32 bg

512 gb or 1 tb SSD

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: jamesw

Thanks for the prompt and clear reply.

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous

Question!

Piettro, can you please update what you gonna buy in the end and share your 3dmax experience with chosen laptop?

I am on the same page now and looking for great machine

Thanks a lot!

Message 5 of 15
besseggen

hi 

i bought the xps 9560 for revit, AM NOT HAPPY with it. it's far slower than i thought and the 1050 does perform weirdly in revit. i hope the driver will be fixed.

tom

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

Hi Irina

Honestly I just bought it and I didn't really had time to try that much 3ds max.

I picked Dell Precision, so far for all the other cad programs that I use (sketchup + vray mainly and fusion360) I am completely satisfied.

I just tried to design and render one simple room with max, and I didn't notice any issue (modelling and rendering were smooth and fast) but sure it was not an hard test. I cannot say anything about animation as I do not do it.

About the computer in general, I have to say that it's really good: amazing screen (I bought the 4k and it's a huge step ahead), it is fast, it looks great, and so on...The only negative point is actually related to the 4k: some sketchup plug-ins do not scale their icons. So some of them are quite small (not sketchup itself, only some plug-ins). 3ds max is scaled right (so no problem with that).

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

Hi Pietro
thank you for reply
that's awesome you enjoy
which exactly Precision did you choose?
7720 or 5520?
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

Dell Precision 5520

Xeon E3 1505M quad-core

Quadro M1200 4gb gddr5

32 bg

1 tb SSD

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous

hi pietro,

I had the exact same confusions as yours and my options were the same as well, so your comments really helped.

I just want to ask how the precision's battery life is and also its weight. I'm actually an interior design student and these two factors are a part of my concern and ur review would help.

pls also inform if there are any problems or even good qualities about this laptop that you might be experiencing. 

thankyou in advance

Message 10 of 15
Anonymous

Hi Rufo

As I said previously I'm really satisfied with this pc. The only problem is the scale in 4k screen (but Max 2017 do not have this problem)

The weight, well, I guess is something between 3 and 4 kg...It's not light, you feel it when it's in your backpack on holding in your hands. If you have to walk around in a construction site with the Precision in the hand it's not convenient at all (sure Surface pro/book would do a much better job).

The battery is good, I may work a whole afternoon with Illustrator/photoshop or browsing/sending emails without need to charge it. But using Max (even light files) or rendering with any programs the battery last much less (one hour I guess) and the fan system gets quite noise (I suppose that's the reason)

As I said I am anyway fully satisfied. But if I had to buy a pc now I would wait the new Surface book 2 15" with i7 8th generation quad core.

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous

Hi Pietro!

I got Precision 7520 Intel Xeon CPU- E3-1505M v6 3GHz 32GBRam

And I am pretty happy as well

Although first time I made render on 3dsmax was little bit scared of the sound as well))
Battery 'dissapears' when 3dsmax running

but look like it is 'ok' situation

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous

Hey irinakoen

Do perhaps have options that are heavy duty in terms of battery life while using 3d max?
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous

Do you have a recommendation for a strong battery life laptop while using 3d max or is it that 3d max will drain battery out of almost all laptops and I basically need to be plugged in while using it?
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous

Hi
I am architect
Which on do you suggest to work with 3dsmax?
MCI PE 620 7RD:
CORE I7 RAM 16 HDD1+128SSD VGA 1050 4GB 15.6' FULL HD TFT
OR
LENOVO Y520-E:
CORE I7 RAM 16 HDD1+128SSD VGA 1050 4GB 15.6' FULL HD IPS
THANKS
Message 15 of 15
Anonymous

The only difference is the display. IPS LCD, which is a variant of (active matrix) TFT LCDs, further improves display technology by providing better color reproduction and a wider, more accurate viewing angle. Both are rather weak and the display will make little difference in your architect work, but will be fancier.

I wonder if would be faster and cheaper a laptop for general use plus a workstation than a powerful laptop for 3d. For start apart of being systematically weaker and more expensive than a workstation laptops become obsolete quickly for that type of tasks and have little possibilities of upgrades, forcing to buy new ones much more frequently than a workstation to keep performance.

For renders that you need to leave the computer on for long periods I have been forced to change the fan sometimes of a workstation, that is quite trivial. And can be a mess in a laptop. Also for render speed is likely to have speeds half or less than a workstation. You would need to have several laptops to match it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report