Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with GPU vs CPU rendering for object visibility.

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
tkanasen
203 Views, 1 Reply

Issue with GPU vs CPU rendering for object visibility.

Hi, I'm currently facing an issue during GPU rendering for animating object invisibility from 0.0 to 1.0 about 3 seconds. The issue is that, some object works during final animation render, I can see the object opacity changes from 0 to 100 but then some object like from Chaos Cosmos library, for example the curtains model, It does not work. If I set the invisibility to 0.0 its works, but if I were to set even just 0.1 or 0.5 the final render shows as though it was set to 1.0 regardless of the amount set earlier. Some Chaos Cosmo library models works while some does not.

I also noticed that only in GPU Rendering has this issue, but if I were to switch to CPU Rendering, it's all fine. But I don't want to use CPU Rendering bcoz it's too slow for the rendering time compared to GPU rendering, which is super fast.

I really hope there is a solution or workaround that can solve this invisibility animation rendering issue. Thanks in Advanced.

Btw, I'm using 3DS Max 2024 with V-Ray 6 render engine with GPU setting as my final render.

Labels (3)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Byteman
in reply to: tkanasen

Visibility behaves differently among different materials. For example, it works for a Material type but a slight increment in some material feature like SSS, volumetric effects, translucency etc. kills the effect. Chaos materials are often composed of several layers of maps, which is a headache when you try to find out what disrupts the visibility effect. There are also features that do not work with GPU which would work with CPU version.

One last thing, transparency effects might present inconsistencies due to color  processing differences among several rendering elements, too, (shadows, reflections etc.) so it is mindful to test what works properly with such effects. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report