Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Max Interactive still alive?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
RobH2
616 Views, 3 Replies

Is Max Interactive still alive?

Earlier today I contributed to a post that asked if the Oculus Quest would work in Max Interactive. I have version 2.4.0.0 installed. I thought maybe I should see if there was and update for it. I can't find one.

In fact, I can't find anything about it at all after late 2018. There are a few random mentions of it in Google searches in early 2019, but after that, crickets. 

Is it still alive? Is there an update? Inquiring minds want to know...?

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
RobH2
in reply to: RobH2

I'll sort of answer my own question in hopes that it will help someone else. Here's what my experience was like:

1) Google search: not much info and not much after early 2019. Seems odd. 

2) Autodesk search: Very little info. A few links that are sort of cyclic dead ends. Very little info.

3) My Subscription Page: Initially, no info. 

But, if you click on your Subscription and then "View Downloads" you will see an option to download 'Interactive.'  Some might say, "duh, where else would you find it?" The reality is, there is so little info about it "anywhere" that's the last place I thought about looking. 

At any rate, I did install it and it is an updated version over the one I had. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
Message 3 of 4
spacefrog_
in reply to: RobH2

i would say its best for you to consider it's dead

realtime 3d realtime and VR tech space are such fast evolving software segments, that any stagnation and non-development over more then a couple of months means falling behind ...

As much i would have loved to see Interactive really evolve, as it showed good promise, in no way i would invest any more effort to learn it or establish a pipeline arround it

If your need leans more to the visualisation side of things i would go with unreal engine and its integrated Max pipeline ( was called Datasmith one time , not sure how its called now Unreal Studio or something ? )

If you are not shy of lifting some c# programming tasks you might also pick Unity, but i think the route to "pretty visuals" is more direct with Unreal

Josef Wienerroither
Software Developer & 3d Artist Hybrid
Message 4 of 4
RobH2
in reply to: spacefrog_

That was my suspicion. And like you,  I did like it starting off. 

I have been deep diving into Unreal Engine for over a year now and in the back of my mind I was asking myself if Max Interactive could ever surpass what it has to offer. But I wanted to give it another look. After I updated Interactive yesterday and saw little had changed I drew the conclusion that it was a vestige now and would probably not go much farther.  

Yea, Unreal Engine is unimaginably powerful and capable. I've enjoyed Datasmith and VRay quite a lot in it. 

RIP "Interactive", I wanted to dance with you one more time.... 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report