Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interface issues - Input fields and buttons are black in Max 2017

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
11049 Views, 13 Replies

Interface issues - Input fields and buttons are black in Max 2017

I am experiencing a wierd issues of UI meltdown in 3DS Max 2017. Ever since installation my input fields, buttons and other snips of the interface are black. Even the text in them is black (!) This goes for the main interface, all popup dialogs and all items in the command panel. 

Needless to say I cannot operate the interface effectively. Max 2016 is not displaying any of these issues.

So far I have reset the Ini, updated display drivers, reverted workspaces, changed driver (all through the black box interface *sigh*). Anyone experiencing something similar? Or have suggestions to what I could do to get 2017s interface to render optimally.

My specs are modest but are not giving me any rendering problems in other autodesk 2016-17 products.

intel core i5, 3.8Ghz

16gb ram

AMD Radeon HD7800

- Thanks in advance for all (productive) comments

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
nils
in reply to: Anonymous

Having the same issue. 

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous

I was having the same issue - it happened after I loaded a custom UI Scheme (I made the scheme in 2016, perhaps its not compatible with 2017?)

I managed to fix it by going into Customize > Custom UI and Defaults Switcher and then just hit 'set' without changing any settings (since it was black, I'll specify set was the left button in the bottom right corner). Not sure if our buttons were black for the same reason, but I hope this helps! 

Capture.JPG

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous

Thanks for the hint Nathaniel. I'll give your hack a go and get back to you if it worked.
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

Your solution did the trick, Nathaniel. Thanks a bunch.
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous

I'm having the same issue and tried the solution mentioned. However, in my case, it only fixes part of the issue on some of the buttons, but not all of the areas go back to how they were no matter what color theme I choose.  This only happens when I load my custom UI. It tells me to restart and I will see the changes, and when I do it's back to normal in color, but then my UI is gone and it's reset to default settings. Then I load my UI in again and it just happens all over again.

1.png 

Message 7 of 14
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous,

Are you loading the custom UI from a previous version of Max?  

What is your current graphics card, please?  Thanks!

Best Regards,

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.DeFlaminis

Yes, I believe the UI setup I made for it was using 2016 version of Max. However, I think I solved the problem. I just loaded the UI into the hotkeys section instead of Load custom UI interface section.

Message 9 of 14
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Message 10 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.DeFlaminis

Thanks for your replies Alfred!

Message 11 of 14
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Message 12 of 14
maya.stoffijn

man you made my day. Had the same issue with 2020 version, desperately reinstalled it three times, tried a lot of  different stuff, and this easy step just fixed it all 😄 thank you so much.

Message 13 of 14
ucbqsio

Thanks! Really helpful 

Message 14 of 14
Anonymous

Thank you! This worked for me.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report