Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image I/O Error

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
42365 Views, 9 Replies

Image I/O Error

This is quite annoying. Every time I try to render an AVI I get an Error. Both in Mental Ray and Vray.

Image I/O error
C:\......filename.avi
Internal Error.

I'm given the option to Retry or Cancel.

Has anyone seen this error before?
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Anonymous

Max 64 bit?
There are very few 64bit codecs. Render to an image sequence (lossless, like png/tga/tif) then create the avi in Max 32 bit or an external program like After Effects or VirtualDub.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 10
iadproductions

What is your operating system?

I've had some trouble rendering with Vista 64, it randomly seems to make folders READ ONLY, while I am working in them.

Also, what CODEC are you writing to?

Do you have another physical harddrive you can write an image sequence to and then convert to an AVI with the RAM Player or VP, or something like After Effects or Premiere ?

Jeff
Mastering Autodesk 3ds Max 2013
http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Autodesk-3ds-Max-2013/dp/1118129717/ref=zg_bs_4135_2
Message 4 of 10
eodeo

Listen to Steve- never render out to avi. Always use picture sequences. If Max crashes, and that too happens (shocker) the avi gets corrupted and in the worst case you lose 99.9% of rendered stuff.

Preventing the above mentioned is just one of many advantages of rendering to pictures first. This method gives you safety, allows you to fix any one image and render only it or any number of them. Gives you versatility in final quality and codec. You could have one super high res, one for internet and one in quicktime for mac people. You can edit it later on, and put it through post processing with no quality loss. Dont get me wrong, Max is great- but no single professional work comes straight out of Max. There is always photoshop or after effects or some variant of the two involved right after Max and before you get to see it.

Advantages of rendering to avi first? Only two I could think of:

1. If you're certain of what codec and quality you want, its faster and needs less clicking - 5 to 50 sec faster.
2. I lied. I cant think of any other advantages.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Yes, I typically render out to frames and then stiich it all together in premiere. I was just trying to do a quick test render.

In answer to your other questions. I was using 3ds max 2010 64 bit on 64 bit XP. I will assume there is a codec issue with AVI on XP64 for now.

I am interested in how you guys use 32 bit max to turn your frames into video though. I have always used Premiere, so I'm dying to know how you use max to accomplish the same thing.

Thanks Again,
Mike Gore
Message 6 of 10
Steve_Curley

It's an x64 issue rather than an XP or Vista issue. 64 bit codecs simply don't, for the most part, exist.

As for using Max to convert an image sequence to avi - Ram Player or Video Post will do the trick. Both are covered in the main Max Help.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Hi !
I am having the same issue on a big file (a NYC model !!) by trying to map the meshes in my scene.
My system is Xp SP3,GForce 9800GT.

It does let me insert a few maps but after 4/5 is over. The model is doner with procedural maps.

Thanks for any help !

SOLVED !

I my case, it was a bunch of 4096px X 4096px maps. I just reduced trhe size to 1024px X 1024px and it renders fine now ! Hope that this helps someone out there !
Message 8 of 10
Steve_Curley

Please create a new thread for your question - it has nothing (that I can see) to do with the subject under discussion here (rendering to an AVI).

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

Try to save as another file extension, like: .avi to .mov and so on.

I had the same problem.

I did save the file as fileName.mov and it didn't work but after I did save as fileName.avi, everything went good.

its codec problem I think.

Message 10 of 10

hey i had a ref to how to turn multiple textures to one on a mesh by unwrapping the uv map but i installed 2k23 and lost the configuration check box settings or something can you help me out when i try bake to texture i get the image i/o error do 8 k textures even render fast enough on game engines like ue i got this shading problem i still need to make a reference notation on cage unwrapping with proxy mesh please let me know how to handle the image i/o error when it comes the uv unwrap modifier thanks in advance

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report