Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IGES nightmare

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
628 Views, 7 Replies

IGES nightmare

Hello ladies and gents. This is a problem that's been killing me for weeks now. In trying to fix this problem, I've come to realize that this is a common problem for max users, and one that rarely seems to get solved (at least not publicly). I have a max model of an angel statue (mesh). This model is going to be used to create a mold. The problem is that the client ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVE this model in .iges format. The manufacturer who's going to be making this mold seems to have a whole lot of limitations on getting this file. I won't go into detail about that part of it. Just know that pretty much any other format is out (even STL ... don't ask). I've lost count of how many hours I've put into researching this issue. Let me tell you what I do know:

1) The IGES format is for NURBS; Meshes simply will not work when exporting to iges (aka .igs) If you try to export a mesh as an iges file you will get a tiny .xlo file instead.

2) If you have a model that was created as a mesh, YOU CAN convert it to a NURBS object. Many people believe that it is impossible. This is not the case. In Max, here are the steps:

a. right click on the object
b. Convert to Editable Patch (depending on the complexity of the model, this might take a while)
c. After the conversion is done, right click again on the object and Convert to NURBS (depending on the complexity of the model, this might take FOREVER. For this particular angel, about 12 hours+ was the process)

I've done this with smaller, less complicated objects, and even successfully exported the objects to .igs straight from Max. So if anyone reading this is in the same boat I am, you might be one of the lucky ones who only needs to do this process to get your iges file. Unfortunately, this may not work for you (for whatever reason; anything's possible). So, in that case:

3) Rhino is a MUCH FASTER way to convert your mesh into a NURBS object. Here are the steps I took to get to this point:

a. in Max, export your mesh as a .STL file
b. Open your STL in Rhino
c. select your object and type _MeshToNurb as your command
d. go get some tea or something (the process is NOT NEARLY AS LONG as with Max, but it will take a little while. If I remember right, though, it was less than an hour, possible WAY less. I've gone through so many processes in the last few weeks I honestly don't remember)

I'd like to note here that you don't necessarily have to export your mesh as a STL. It works, but there are other formats that you can export to that will probably work just as well. Just know that STL definitely works.

4) Now, from here, you can export an iges file straight from Rhino. (I have no idea about the best settings or anything. Maybe somebody can help me with that)

So, here is my dilemma. I don't know what kind of whack system the manufacturer's running, but he claims to not be able to open my igs file. He says that it's too big. I don't seem to have that problem with Rhino. I opened a 217MB igs with Rhino. However, Max did lock up when I tried to open that same file and when I tried to open up another instance of the angel at 115MB. The client couldn't open the big files either. So my questions are:

1) Are IGES files just naturally HUGE? Because every one that I've created has been pretty big. Is there a way to create SMALLER (like way smaller) IGES files?
2) It's possible that I just don't have the export setting correct for the iges file. Is there an IGES expert out there who can help? The manufacturer is trying to open this in Pro/E, Inventor, Solidworks, and/or AutoCAD. And I know what you're thinking. "Well, shoot, those apps can take MANY different formats" But trust me, getting the client AND the manufacturer in this case to take a different format has been like pulling teeth. There are several different reasons why. At this point, it's GOTTA BE AN IGES.
3) I did send the client an iges file of a simple spiked ball thingy that I built and converted and exported in Max. THAT file he could open. So I'm thinking that the default settings for the IGES export in Max should do the trick. The problem is that I need to import the NURBS object that i created in Rhino back into Max without it being converted back into a mesh first. Any format ideas for that?
4) Because this thing is being 3D printed, all of the detail is in the geometry itself. So the file is destined to be large. Any ideas on how to optimize the object (besides the Optimize modifier) to shrink this file a little without having to lose too much (if any) detail?

Your help is much appreciated, but if anybody learns anything from my post, that's cool too. So thanks to anyone who answers, and good luck to anyone who's having the same problem. 🙂
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Still working at it. Does anyone know of a plugin for Max 9 that allows you to import Rhino solids?
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

nPowers' Power Translator will open 3dm files and is great for what you are doing. download the trial to see if it helps your situation.

http://www.npowersoftware.com/

If the files isn't freakin huge, upload it and I'll try a transfer for you. Just specify what it is and what you want it to be.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

Thanks for your reply Kevinich00!! It looks like that might do the trick! I'm thinking that if I can get the solid back into Max then export to IGES it'll be Christmas in July ... or May in this case 😉 . I am still worried about the file size though. Are you familiar with IGES files and their sizes? So far, it seems like they're destined to be HUMONGOUS. With this particular model, I haven't been able to create one that's under 100MB yet. Is that the norm?

I'll get back to you after I try the npower plugin. Fingers crossed.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

I'd also ask the shop what software/version they are using so you can do a little reserch. I had a problem with one vendor, and it was on his end. The import setting were cranked up (for accuracy he said) which resulted in the file being too big for his use. A half hour meeting solved the problem.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

I'm on the same page with you totally. Unfortunately, there's a middle man PLUS a language barrier PLUS time constraints that are keeping me from being able to handle it that way (the logical efficient way). This is one of those case where I have to reeeeeally bend to the client's needs. I'm sure that if were to be able to communicate with the manufacturer, we could get it together. Unfortunately, they're in China and don't speak any English, and the absolute bare minimum of translation is being used to fill the order.

This wasn't supposed to be such a nightmare. I designed my wife and my wedding bands with Max, exported them to STL's, and the jeweler's cast-maker created the molds perfectly (ring-size and everything), and now we have platinum wedding bands with dragons and butterflies engraved in them --- ALL from Max. There was only ONE stumble and that was on my part. But, guess what. I TALKED to the mold-maker and got the information I needed to get it done. Sound familiar, Kev? lol. I'm totally with you on your suggestion. Unfortunately, I can't go that route this time around.

By the way, do you have experience with IGES files?

EDIT: Almost forgot. The manufacturer's using Pro/E and AutoCAD. The client's using Inventor and Solidworks.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Hi Kev. Thanks a million for your help. I don't have my final result yet, but from what I see so far, I'm at least a whole lot closer than I was before using power translators. Actually, I think that the plugin will be most useful in knocking down a lot of time that I don't have to spare. Since I have the plugin, I can use Rhino to create the solid from the mesh, then import it back into Max and export it to IGES. I still have the feeling it's going to be a huge .igs but at least now I can tool around with the model to see if I can get a smaller iges and save buttloads of time on the conversion to solid.

I'll let you know how everything turns out. You're a friend.
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

I think I may have a solution to your problem. It involves low poly modeling though.

this is what I do.

I create a lowpoly mesh model and then apply a macro script called splinecagify from scriptspot. from this I get a spline. I then add a surface modifier. I tweak the spline a little to correct any errors. I then convert it into a nurb. since the vertices are a low number from the the initial low poly mesh model it isn't too bad in the time it takes to convert.

Anyway, After being very frustrated with trying to convert mesh models into solid models that could be useful, this is what I came up with and thought I might share my solution to an irritating problem.

Val

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report