Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to view scene extents / bounding box

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1158 Views, 6 Replies

How to view scene extents / bounding box

Dealing with a very large scene, several miles across. Its getting too big to animate small objects with accuracy. I want to split the scene up into smaller parts, but I also want to make sure that there are no artifacts the make the scene any larger than it needs to be.

Is there a way to check that no hidden objects are increasing the scale of the scene, its bounding box or extents?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
10DSpace
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous 

In Scene Explorer, if you choose Select>Select All, then all of the scene objects, including hidden objects will be selected.  Once all objects are selected, hit "Z" and the viewport focus will encompass everything in the scene.   From there the selection center will be obvious and if it does not appear to be centered on the visible objects in your scene, then hidden objects must be the cause.   

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: 10DSpace

Of course, that makes sense. Was hoping there were a utility or some parameter that I could look at for dimensions.

Thanks

Message 4 of 7
domo.spaji

It doesn't make sense to me and dont know where that be an alternative to unhide all and Z (with nothing selected).

And that doesn't working as far as I know.

It is not how viewport working. It is working more in a way to ask you what do you mean by "precisely animating small things"?

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: domo.spaji

Imagine a city and in that city is a bus, and in that bus is a character who needs to fold her arms. The scale of the scene makes this incredibly difficult because their are only so many decimal places behind zero to do the math. Instead, I am needing to break my scene into 2 parts and composite. 

Before I felt confident in moving forward, I wanted to see dimensions for how large my scene's bounding box is. It doesn't sound like there is an option for this.

Message 6 of 7
10DSpace

@Anonymous 

Before I felt confident in moving forward, I wanted to see dimensions for how large my scene's bounding box is. It doesn't sound like there is an option for this.

If all you want is the dimensions of your scene then there is a built in utility in max called "Measure" in the Utilities panel.  Just select all in scene explorer and click measure in the utilities panel and it will give you the exact dimensions of the bounding box for all selected objects.  

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: 10DSpace

That works great, thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report