Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to import a .vrmesh into Unity

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
Anonymous
4133 Views, 18 Replies

how to import a .vrmesh into Unity

hello, i have a scene and i want to correct open it. in my folder there is proxies folder with .vrmesh files... i got also some informations how to open vrmesh files but i'am not complete sure if this is the correct way... i also downloaded a vray trail version to open this files....
the problem is, after i opened/imported the vrmesh files it looks normal but for example when i export the whole scene in unity i get all the imported stuff and also the same stuff on the correct position but the mesh is complete broken like splitted in many parts

i have no skills in 3d max and i need help to correct open and import a scene

Your post subject line has been edited by @hagen.deloss: how to open a scene

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
hagen.deloss
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous

Thanks for bringing your question to the forums! What version of 3DS Max are you importing/exporting from? 

Also, what kind of filetype are you exporting to (fbx, obj)? A Screenshot of the mesh you are having trouble exporting would really help to narrow down a potential solution.

I really look forward to helping you figure out a solution to this issue, talk to you soon 😄

Hagen Deloss
Community Manager | Media & Entertainment
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 3 of 19

@hagen.delossif he downloaded the vray trial would not that he a bench of the VRay T&C?

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: hagen.deloss

I try to export the whole scene in FBX for Unity.

I use 3d max 2019.
On the photo (in unity) you can see it comes also with broken meshes

Unbenannt.png

Message 5 of 19
irishman_team_kilber

@Anonymoushopefully they are both full versions of 3ds max and vray if not then you are breaching the T&Cs of autodesk and vray because you are only meant to use the trial to test max out and the same for vray. with the student version of max you can only use it for learning. if you export the student version of max then that is a breach of the autodesk T&C.

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: irishman_team_kilber

@irishman_team_kilber
your messge is not realy helpfull for me, and when the versions i have are possible to export something then i just use the function...

Message 7 of 19
irishman_team_kilber

"i also downloaded a vray trail version to open this files" which is a breach of the Chaos Group terms and conditions you cannot export the trial version of vray.

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: irishman_team_kilber

i dont wanna export the trail version of vray, i wanna export a 3d scene, i use vray because the scene use some vray .dll files and i have to import vrmesh files.... and when the trail version allows me to import files or what ever then i use it... what you tell me makes no sence to me and does not help me, so stop it please!

Message 9 of 19
irishman_team_kilber

you cannot export anything to do with the vray trail and that is what you said you were doing. in your first post you created. you said "you downloaded the vray trail". the trial doesn't allow you to export anything with the trial you cannot only use it for 30 days as the website say to test out the software.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 10 of 19
hagen.deloss

Hi @Anonymous

It looks like either a display issue, or more likely, and issue with the normals on dense mesh. When you next open this scene in 3DS Max, I would suggest first applying a normals modifier onto the objects (uncheck Flip Normals and check the Unify Normals setting instead).

I would then suggest you export your objects as an OBJ filetype (with smoothing groups checked, and normals unchecked). Lets see how that imports into Unity and we can troubleshoot further from there.

Let me know if I can clarify anything in that process 😄

Talk to you soon

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Hagen Deloss

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous

I dont know what you mean with the normals... 

i tried .obj and it comes without broken meshes but i would prefer when all the .vrmesh files would be on the correct position

Message 12 of 19
hagen.deloss

Hi @Anonymous

Thanks for the additional information 😄 When you export your mesh with FBX, what settings do you have checked? I would try unchecking smoothing groups and split per vertex-normal options and see if that helps the display issue when importing into Unity. Here is what my export settings look like.

Screenshot (203).png

I hope this helps clarify!

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Hagen Deloss

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous

in standard export settings smoothing groups and split per vertex-normal are uncheck

Message 14 of 19
hagen.deloss

@Anonymous

You could try importing the .max file into Unity directly and seeing if the issue persists? It looks like Unity can import Max files directly according to this documentation

I'm not sure why the mesh is importing so strangely using FBX as opposed to OBJ, there shouldn't be that much difference between the way the mesh is saved...would it be possible for you to send the mesh file so I can try some things on my end to test it out?

You can either attach it to your next post in this thread, or send me a file sharing link (dropbox, google drive, whatever you prefer) in a private message. 

Thanks for being so patient while we work through this issue 😄

Hagen Deloss

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous

do you want the whole scene with all files?

Message 16 of 19
hagen.deloss

@Anonymous

Only the files you are having issues with, and if its all meshes within your scene, one mesh should be fine to test on 😄

Hagen Deloss

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous

how can is send files?

Message 18 of 19
hagen.deloss

Hi @Anonymous

I got a chance to look at the chandelier vrmesh you sent me, and between that, and looking at your scene, I believe that your best shot is to make sure you first convert the proxy mesh into geometry before exporting it as an FBX file. The checkboxes to do so are located in the command panel in your vray proxy settings. I suggest selecting Convert to Mesh, and also Weld vertices in result. Here is what that setting looks like on my side.

Screenshot (1).png

I would also recommend putting a Normal modifier onto the converted poly object, as from your original screenshot, it looks like parts of the walls normals are facing backwards. You can apply a Normal modifier by selecting it in your objects command panel modifier list dropdown, and typing in Normal. I would suggest, for the walls at least, checking the option Unify Normals. Here is what that option looks like on my side.

Screenshot (211).png

I hope this extra information helps display your objects correctly inside Unity!

Talk to you soon 😄

Hagen Deloss

Message 19 of 19
hagen.deloss

Hi @Anonymous

I wanted to check back and see if a post helped you with your problem. It would be super helpful if you could add a post with how you decide to proceed, and your results. That way other Community members can benefit from your process 😄

Hagen Deloss

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report