Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I control multiple object's opacity using a custom attribute?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
HoltHunter
196 Views, 1 Reply

How do I control multiple object's opacity using a custom attribute?

I am creating an animation that requires me to animate the opacity of multiple objects. What I don't want to have to do is go into the material of each individual object and animate the opacity from the shader editor. The main reason I don't want to do this, is that it would require applying a unique material to each object. In the scene, all of the objects have the same material. I feel like a much more elegant solution would be to somehow control the opacity of the material using a custom attribute on the object. I've attempted this and used wire parameters to link the custom attribute on the object to the opacity attribute on the material, but this changes the opacity for all of my objects at once. If possible, I would like to keep a single, shared material applied to all of the objects, but control the opacity individually. I have seen the User Data shaders, but I can't figure out how to use them. Is there a way forward using them?

Labels (3)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
CAMedeck
in reply to: HoltHunter

You can control the visibility of individual objects, and animate it pretty easily.  Right click with an object selected and choose Object Properties.  You'll see a visibility parameter there.  You can also access that value by adding a Visibility Track in Track View.  If you have several objects that will all have the same opacity changes, you should be able to link them to a common object and they'll inherit their visibility from it.

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report