Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I do this with Slate material editor (copy/paste-replace)?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
markus
3789 Views, 5 Replies

How can I do this with Slate material editor (copy/paste-replace)?

Hi, I have recorded a small screencast to show a workflow I used frequently with the old compact material editor. I have not found out how to do the same thing in the new slate editor. Is there anything I've missed or does the slate editor not have this function?

I suppose I can switch back and forth between them but I would rather just stay in one space since it takes many extra steps.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
markus
in reply to: markus

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/c4b304e9-837f-4e96-b259-701d81478582

Here is the screencast (I don't know what happened to it in the first post)

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Dragging the material while holding 'shift' copies the material actually, But i am not sure if that's the thing you asked, I hope that helps 🙂

Message 4 of 6
markus
in reply to: Anonymous

Well, that is not what I am looking for, since that just creates a new copy in the slate view and doesn't replace any other material. 

If you watch my screencast you will see that I'm able to copy the material node to the 3dsmax "clipboard", then I get an option to paste the same material onto another node as an instance and it's replacing the other material on objects where that was used.

Message 5 of 6
markus

I managed to find a suitable workaround myself. If you right click the material in slate you can select change material/map type. From here you can select any material from the library, sample slots, or scene. If you choose an existing material from the sample slots you can choose to make it an instance. This gives me the same end result. 

I didn't know about this feature until I discovered it today. I guess this is a solution even though it's a different procedure.

Message 6 of 6
Johnnym7777

rag the new material to the slate material editor, then you have to drag pressing shift the new material output to the output of the old material.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report