Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with a Scene

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
mnarlock
229 Views, 4 Replies

Help with a Scene

I haven't used max in a while and have to create a simple scene and to be honest, I'm a bit lost. It seems straightforward, but I'm not certain where to begin. It looks like the below. Any detailed suggestions or maybe links to tutorials would be appreciated. I can create the mesh and the camera path and all of that and I'm sure what I'm seeing is just a texture mapped to the surface...but I don't know how to create the texture. 

04a.gif

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
RobH2
in reply to: mnarlock

Google and You Tube are your friends. Max is very mature software, so much so, that there are 10s of 1000s of posts, tutorials and courses. Just Google "3ds Max Getting Started" and have a LOT to choose from. 

Go to sites like Udemy and pick up a full course. They have sales every month and you can get $75 courses for $15. 

Now, do all the tutorials you can muster. It's how most of us have learned Max. You'll get up to speed pretty fast. You just have to stick with it till you get over the hump. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 5

For texture check NASA images of random nebulas. Adjust tiles or UVs to stretch it a lot.

Message 4 of 5
CiroCardoso3v

The example you provided is much more than just a texture. Is a combination of comp, with FX, with modelling. So, even if you "just" assign a texture to a tube, you aren't going to get something close to the preview.

Lead Enviroment Artist @Axis Studios

Arnold Discord Server

Ciro Cardoso

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
darawork

Hi,

I can't look at the animation too long, but...

I'd say you could get a good effect with an iridescent particle stream, with the emitter placed in front of the camera head, on the same path. Both travelling through a semi transparent tube (which sounds like you've modeled already).

A second particle generator (big flat plane, facing the camera) could be emitting white light, like a Windows 'StarField' Screensaver. The light emitting particles are moving at differing speeds.

The end of the 'Worm Hole' could be set at attract the warm coloured particles?

The secret ingredient is 'Motion Blur', loads of 'Motion Blur'. The entire loops is only about 60frames looped at about 10hz, so the viewers eye makes up for the tween frames.

I'd say it could be done in-house Max, if you were a bit handy with a particular rendering engine.
If not, or too complex... Tyflow, or Phoenix could be worth a look too.

Good luck 🙂

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report