Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help: Binding MB4 to rotate

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
647 Views, 4 Replies

Help: Binding MB4 to rotate

Hi there; I was advised on Twitter to post my query about key binding in 3DSMax 2017 here.  This is also similar to an existing post from 2011:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-forum/key-binding-advice-needed/m-p/4225163#M68715

Because my left arm is currently in a cast, I don't have the dexterity needed to use a keyboard and mouse.  To get around this, I would like to bind mouse button 4 to rotate/orbit.  Unfortunately, these buttons (4+5) do not seem to be recognised.  I tried binding LMB+RMB but the key assign area just flicks between the two buttons, haha.

If anyone could advise on how I could bind my surplus mouse buttons to the basic functions I would appreciate your insight.

Thank you 😃

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Thank you for your speedy reply.

It's an interesting work around, and I can see it can be put to great use.  Unfortunately it's not an answer to the query posed, being that of whether or not the function can be bound to the mouse (in some way).

Again, thank you for sharing the link.

Message 4 of 5
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous and welcome to the community,

As far as I know, there's no native way to do this in Max because it does't really recognize Mouse4.  However, you can pull it off with a neat little program called Auto Hotkey.  It's a bit tricky to use at first, but it should be able to do this.  I use it a lot of games that won't let me bind keys to the numpad.  You basically need to bind Mouse 4 as a keypress of Alt+MMB.  I can't do any support for Auto Hotkey since it's not an Autodesk product, but it's the best workaround I can think of.  It's not too hard to learn for simple stuff like this.  

Best Regards,

Message 5 of 5
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous,

I just wanted to follow up here, any progress on this issue?

Best Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report