Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gimbal Lock Exists: Can't export DAE without issue

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
derek.mallard
1190 Views, 7 Replies

Gimbal Lock Exists: Can't export DAE without issue

I can't understand what's wrong. I've never had this issue since I was forced to upgrade from 3ds max 2016 to 2017.

I'm trying to export a stage model for a game into .DAE. (I use DAE because the program I'm going to import this to needs this file format) 

1.png

I'd really like to have Max 2016 back again...

Tags (4)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
leeminardi
in reply to: derek.mallard

Try changing the rotational controllers from Euler XYZ to TCB for the noted objects.

lee.minardi
Message 3 of 8
derek.mallard
in reply to: leeminardi

I get the same error message and on top of that, an "Unsupported controllers" message.

Message 4 of 8
leeminardi

Well, it was worth a try.  The next thing  I would try is to determine when gimbal lock is occuring.

Does the file export successfully if the noted objects are deleted.  This will confirm that they are the culprit. Next I would try to export the first half of the animation, then another segment, etc. to try to find the time at which it occurs.

lee.minardi
Message 5 of 8
derek.mallard
in reply to: leeminardi

There aren't any animations. I have two helpers and all of the objects are rigged to the one bone and I have to add the second bone inside the skin modifier to avoid any small issues. (Such as a filler) I do this for all my videogame character/stage models back in Max 2016 and earlier and haven't had an issue like this until now.

When exporting it takes at least two minutes for the error message to appear. I can ignore the errors and continue to import the .DAE into the program that I use but, that's unacceptable because, that program will have trouble importing the model and it will not be able to continue. The issue seems to be the helpers somehow (as shown in the image).

I can export the model just fine without having any skin modifiers. But it's very important that I have the model rigged to a helper/bone.

Message 6 of 8
Diffus3d

Hello @derek.mallard ,

You could try a couple things. 

1) Try to reset transforms on the helpers. (Hierarchy menu->Pivot tab->Adjust Transform rollout-> Reset: Transform.)  If the bones have scale history, that will cause problems with .DAE (and maybe others.)   Also, possibly try to reset the Xform on the model before export, just in case.  

2) You could try OpenCollada.  I've had issues in the past that it seemed to automatically fix when I export.  The only downside to OpenCollada is that maybe 1/5 times it crashes Max on export so make sure to save first.  I have had issues before where it was the only thing that solved my problem and allowed me to export, but that was partially because the rigs were made with a way old script and they weren't super stable.  Still, worth a shot.    

3) What are the animation settings in the FBX export menu?  Is it possible something in there is causing the issue?

Best Regards,

Message 7 of 8
derek.mallard
in reply to: Diffus3d

Ah yes, resetting the transform on the helpers seem to get rid of the error messages. Now I just have to deal with the program that's having trouble importing my model. I may have more issues between my importing program and the skinning of the models but I won't know after a while.

Thanks for the help.

Message 8 of 8
Diffus3d

I've had similar issues in the past.  I'm sure it was a checkbox or option in the native exporter I had wrong, but OpenCollada does a good job there when all else fails.  Glad we're making progress!

Best Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report