Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Geometry distorting on import.

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
colbyroper
1052 Views, 18 Replies

Geometry distorting on import.

A new problem I am having lately is when I want to import geometry from one Max file to another it comes in very big, distorted and squashed, backwards and not even at 0,0,0.
It happened with Max 2020 about 2 months ago when importing, and had never had that happen before 5 years using Max 2020.  I am unable to use that version and am using Max 2024 and having the same issue.  Using Windows 10 64bit pro.  
File I am importing from is on the left and Imported (Merged) geometry is on the right. I rotated the bumper 180 degrees and moved in front of the other car to show how it is distorting.
I have been using Max for 20 years now and have never had this problem. The units are set up exactly the same in both files. This really helps speed up workflow when you can import geometry from another file and not have to completely remodel everything and saves weeks of time. Has anyone else had this issue and know a fix for this. Would really appreciate feedback and help. Thank you.

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
RobH2
in reply to: colbyroper

This is a really odd one. Never heard of it before. Can you upload the bumper as a Max 2024 file and let me import it into a new file to see what happens. 

Something you might try, I use a script called 'Copitor' that I think you'll like anyway, and it might even solve the anamoly you are seeing. With Copitor you just copy a mesh to one of its slots, open a new Max file and paste from the slot. It's a really handy script. https://www.sergiomereces.com/script-copitor/   I believe it's free too. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 19
colbyroper

Thanks for the quick reply RobH2.  The Copitor plugin looks great, I like the clipboard interface too.  I looked on the website with the link you sent and didn't see a download.  I've been looking online for about 45 minutes and not seeing a place to download it for Max 2024.  There was one site, but looked sketchy and didn't trust it.  Do you have a place you recommend for download?  Thanks.

Message 4 of 19
RobH2

There's a link on that original page for download at Gumroad. I recall it now. I gave him $5 because it's so handy but you don't have to. 

Script: https://gumroad.com/l/Copitor

Rob Holmes

EESignature

3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
Message 5 of 19
Mr.Mxyzptlk

If you like clipboard stuff check out BOA Ref.

https://www.boxofapps.com/boaref

I use this a lot

Message 6 of 19
colbyroper
in reply to: Mr.Mxyzptlk

Thank Mr.Mxyzptlk.  I see where this could be handy for adding images and scaling them.

Message 7 of 19
colbyroper
in reply to: RobH2

Thanks for the link RobH2, and yes it looks like a handy tool.  Unfortunately it is for Max 23, and I am not finding a version for Max 24 yet.

Message 8 of 19
RobH2

It works in all of them, 23, 24 and 25. Just drag the 'zOffTy Tools-Copitor_v3.mcr' into the open Max viewport and it should be fine. I have it in all my Max versions, including 2025. No issues so far. 

I believe it's good old Maxscript that kind of "just works." 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Message 9 of 19
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Just a heads up if you use Miauu and KStudio plugins they are all up to date for 2025. Not sure whats up with SiniSoftware.

Message 10 of 19
RobH2
in reply to: Mr.Mxyzptlk

I love these kinds of apps. Another $5 gone to a good cause and extra time for me to try out a new beer...lol...

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Message 11 of 19
Diffus3d

It sort of looks like the object was parented to another object with transform history.  If you break links before importing, does it resolve?  (Or cause the distortion?) 

Best Regards,

Alfred (AJ) DeFlaminis

EESignature

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

View Max Tips/Tricks Megathread
Message 12 of 19
colbyroper
in reply to: Diffus3d

I reset Xforms and tried merging it in with the same result.  The whole model can be imported by dragging the file into the viewport with no distortion.  The model was scaled uniformly a long time ago, but never parented to any other objects.  Only some objects distort from the scene and not all the objects.  It is strange. 

Is there another way to reset the history of an object?

Thanks

Message 13 of 19
colbyroper

I did download Copitor.  It does have some bugs, like bringing in extra geometry and helpers when you are just copying one object.  And when you copy an object from one scene to another in a different slot, the slot  doesn't refresh or update in the scene you are copying to, it shows up blank.  Even if you try closing Copitor and opening it again it does not update the slot with the newly copied geometry.  It would be nice if it loaded in your tool bar on startup too.  The maker of the software may have solutions for these things as well.  It is  a good work-a-round for some geometry that is distorting when merging.
It is useful though, especially if you want to copy a lot of objects from one scene to another.  And I do like when you paste geometry it puts it in the same location as the other file.

Thanks!

Message 14 of 19
Diffus3d

Technically those aren't bugs, it's bringing in everything that is parented to the object you are copying, keeping the hierarchy intact.  If you break the links before hand, it won't do that.  My theory is the reason your object distorts is that one of those linked objects has transform history.  

When I close and reopen copitor it shows my box contents, but I'm on an older version for production right now.  

Best Regards,

Alfred (AJ) DeFlaminis

EESignature

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 15 of 19
colbyroper

Hi Alfred.  Thanks for the response.
I am not getting any distortion when using Copitor, but the clipboard does not update as I explained in the previous post.  I am using Max 24 and the newest version of Copitor.  When using Copitor I copied a bumper and the car body came with it when I pasted it into the new scene and was never linked or parented.  I can easily just delete what I don't need.
But when merging geometry from one Max file to another by going through File-Import-Merge, the geometry distorts, but only certain objects. 
If I drag the file I need geometry from into the viewport of the other file, nothing comes in distorted, just a lot more content I need to delete that I don't need.   I am not sure how to clear any history from that file.  Resetting Xforms does not work.
Do you know a way to clear Transform History?  Thanks

Message 16 of 19
Diffus3d

Is it possible that those two scenes are using different system units?  That might also do it.  I would have suggested Resetting Xforms but you mentioned that doesn't work.  Is it possible to post a small piece of these two files for a closer look at the problem?

Best Regards,

Alfred (AJ) DeFlaminis

EESignature

Message 17 of 19
RobH2

I'm not sure it's bugs with Copitor. It just may be lack of features. I'm not sure it clains to be able to do all the things you are throwing at it. But, if you just want to snag a mesh and plop it into another file, it's great. That's all I use if for anyway. I don't try to make it perform miracles. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Message 18 of 19
colbyroper
in reply to: Diffus3d

They are at the same units scale.  Copitor does the job for what I need it to do and just grab the geometry.  It's all good.

Message 19 of 19
Diffus3d

No worries.  

Alfred (AJ) DeFlaminis

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report