Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Geometry appears black in viewport but not in render

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Remember_Summer_Days
956 Views, 1 Reply

Geometry appears black in viewport but not in render

Hi! So for some reason, my geometry started appearing completely black in the viewport, but it renders completely fine. I think what caused this was that I started scaling the geometry a bunch to do some rendering tests, quit 3D max, and when I went back in the geometry looked completely black. 

The reason I tried restarting 3D max in the first place was that the geometry started looking "glitchy", I could see through it and it looked as if it got distorted (But still looked completely fine both in the wireframe and Arnold render) I thought this was just some weird GPU glitch, but apparently not. 

The things I've tried.

1.Trying to use all modes of lighting. 
2.Add a light to the scene.
3. Flip normals. 
4. Import the geometry to a new scene, the problem still persists. 

5.Create new geometry, the same issue persists. 
6.Assign new materials.
7.Update GPU drivers and restart PC. 
8. Reset 3D Max to factory preferences. 

Any ideas of what this could be? 

Labels (1)
  • 3d
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Hello @Remember_Summer_Days ,

Sounds like your graphics card is dying.  Have you dusted it recently?  If it's been overheating and the VRAM has gotten too hot then it might be too far gone.  Glitchiness in the viewport (triangles and weird mesh connections/stripes) are usually a sign of dying hardware.  

If you make a new scene does everything appear normal again?  If not, I would start by removing dust from your card.

Best Regards,

Alfred (AJ) DeFlaminis

EESignature

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

View Max Tips/Tricks Megathread

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report