Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Folders of old 3ds Max versions in C:\Autodesk

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Intuos5
654 Views, 3 Replies

Folders of old 3ds Max versions in C:\Autodesk

Hi, today I noticed that there are 3 folders of older versions of 3ds Max than the one I have currently installed. In total, these folders take up 150mb of storage:

Intuos5_0-1639820942342.png

What's more, the WI folder contains folders that are over 5gb in size each.

What is the purpose of these folders? And can they be safely deleted for older versions?

Intuos5_1-1639820986389.png

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Intuos5
in reply to: Intuos5

Actually, on a second attempt at finding the solution, I found this: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Can-I-mo... and https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/installation-licensing/ok-to-delete-c-autodesk-folder-after-install/t...

Still, it isn't a decisive yes/ no it is safe to remove these files. In total this folder now consumes 150gb on a 512gb SSD so that's not insignificant to say the least. Not to mention, I have uninstalled most of the programs on the list already, including Mudbox and the older 3ds Max versions.

When I tried to reinstall Autocad 2018 yesterday, clicking the .exe file in the designated Autocad 2018 folder in an attempt to install the software didn't work either, so I am really puzzled what their purpose is.

Message 3 of 4
Noren2

I always delete them. No idea why they aren't deleted after installation. If you downloaded offline installation files (that are then extracted into this folder) you might want to keep those.

Unless you installed a program by accident into that folder, there shouldn't be a problem.

Message 4 of 4
Intuos5

I can confirm that deleting the files does not affect the software itself. You seem to need to have the installer to install the extracted files.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report