Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fluid doesn't reach the edge of 3d object

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Floydchen
766 Views, 11 Replies

Fluid doesn't reach the edge of 3d object

Hello everybody,

Unfortunately, I have to ask again, because as nice as the fluid function is, it is incredibly difficult to control this function. At least for me as a beginner.

Now I'm almost at my desired goal, but unfortunately I have the problem that the liquid, in this case water does not reach the rotating objects. In nature the water would completely surround the rotating objects, I have changed all parameters, but I can't get to the desired destination.

Maybe someone knows what this may be?

I would be very happy about an answer, thank you very much for the effort.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
hagen.deloss
in reply to: Floydchen

Hi @Floydchen 

Great to hear from you on the forums! I will download this and take a closer look in the next few days. In the meantime, I wonder if @klankster or @Anonymous have any insight into this fluid issue!

Talk to you soon,

Hagen Deloss
Community Manager | Media & Entertainment
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: hagen.deloss

oohh my laptop died and I don't have Max installed at the moment.. BUT.. from memory I would try a couple of the following.

Turn off Delete Exceeding Particles

In the conversion area have a look at the thickness settings (thickness and scale I think).

How does it look without the mesh? 

Message 4 of 12
Floydchen

Hello Hagen,

Thank you for your reply, I think it would be indeed very good if someone looked at the 3Ds MAX-file and checked the settings. I have been experimenting with it for weeks / months now and just can not continue at this point.

Very dear thanks, Floydchen

Message 5 of 12
Floydchen
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello Stephen,

Thanks also to you for your suggestions. I have tried the ideas what you've said.

Unfortunately with no success. Have look at my screenshots.

Thanks a lot :-).

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

@Floydchen wrote:

Hello Stephen,

Thanks also to you for your suggestions. I have tried the ideas what you've said.

Unfortunately with no success. Have look at my screenshots.

Thanks a lot :-).

You are kind of on the right track, but you need to adjust the the Collision Settings NOT the emitter settings:

Override the Globals Controls->Set Thickness: 0,0

Waterpump.JPG

Proof:

Proof.JPG

Message 7 of 12
hagen.deloss

@Floydchen 

Looks like @Anonymous has the right idea!

Let us know if this helps 😄 

Hagen Deloss

Message 8 of 12
Floydchen

Hi Hagen, Hi  aon.914858227

wow, wow, wow,  aon.914858227 this is really amazing what you have made :-)).

I am soglad, that there is really a solution for it, so I tried to adjust this settings what you have used, but my result doesn't look lie yours.

I'll attach my adjustments, and would be very happy if you can say me, where I make the mistakes.

Could you send me perhaps your max-file aon.914858227?

Thanks a lot for your effort.

Floydchen

Message 9 of 12
hagen.deloss

Hi @Floydchen 

I did a little test simulation of your scene and am not exactly sure what the issue you are describing? The liquid does reach up and over the 2 stars eventually.

I would say the collision on the pipe will take a little more finesse, it currently seems to blast the water out all over. To mitigate that, I would suggest adding a shell modifier to the pipe, but here is a video from Tom Hudson that may help with some tweaks you can make to your fluid settings. 

I hope this helps!

Hagen Deloss

Message 10 of 12
Floydchen

Hi Hagen,

Thanks for your reply, yes perhaps it is a further good tip to give the pipe an extra shell.

I'll do it as soon as possible and give response, if this was the right way.

The solution from aon, was TOP.

This tutorial from Tom Hudson I saw  already, but perhpas I will watch it again - he seems to be a master for fluids :-).

Thanks and have a great day.

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

Hello,

my solution isn`t perfect either as i get leaking with fast moving fluids with your geometry. I have to agree with @hagen.deloss that you have to refine or even rebuild the geometry from scratch. Adding shell-modifier can help, but most of the leaking comes from the  connections to the housing where simply adding a shell modifier builds rather thin geometry.

housing.JPG

However, i really like the way the housing fills up.Also you should synchronize the gears, they are intersecting.

Increase the Time Steps/Transport Steps.

Message 12 of 12
Floydchen
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi AON,

thx for your reply and you effort in my matter.

Yes, that was a thought what I also had during this process.

I build this housing with a Proboolean-Modifier, perhaps it wasn't the right way for it.

I'll try it with a shell-modifier as next.

Thanks for all your help 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report