Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anybody know how I can Fit this 2048x2048 texture into this UV island?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
amohamedmasahir
644 Views, 1 Reply

Does anybody know how I can Fit this 2048x2048 texture into this UV island?

I'm trying to have different materials on 6 different UV islands of the same mesh. However after scaling the islands to fit the 2048 x 2048 image I still get stretching. I'm unsure why this is happening can anyone help me find a solution?

Please and thank you.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
10DSpace
in reply to: amohamedmasahir

Hi @amohamedmasahir 

The issue you are having is that the polygons on the object are rectangular and curved while the image you are projecting on them looks like it is a perfect square.   So the square image has a different aspect ratio than the target region it is being mapped to and image distortion is the result.      You can eliminate/compensate for image distortion in several different ways:

1. by just tweaking the image map coordinates , U and V tiling and offsets in the material editor to compensate for the distortion.

2. Using Relax in the Unwrap UVW editor on the selected UV Island and then Pack: Custom.  This will create a more naturally shaped UV Island (i.e., one that more closely matches the shape of the polygons on the object, although flattened).  Then you would use the material editor to tweak the U and V tiling and offsets to position the image. 

3. As an alternative to 2. , instead of Relax you can use Peel mode then exit Peel mode and then Pack: Custom.  Then you would use the material editor to tweak the U and V tiling and offsets to position the image. 

UV mapping differnt shaped image.png

In a more elaborate version of 2. or 3. above, after relaxing or peel mode to create the better shaped UV island, you would create a template of that UV  Map and take it into photoshop  where you could position texture map directly where you want it or even create a version of the texture map that mre closely matches the aspect ratio of the template.  Hope this is clear. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report