Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable moving without Transform gizmo

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1013 Views, 5 Replies

Disable moving without Transform gizmo

This might be a locked core functionality but just out of curiosity. Would it or is it possible to disable moving a face or vertex freely without the transform gizmo? 

What I mean by this is.......when in polygon mode or edge or vertex......you are able to manipulate the face,edge,vert directly without using the gizmo.....ideally it would behave like Maya where you need to select the gizmo to manipulate.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

just to add......I find it's not intuitive at all to constantly switch between Q , W whilst modeling. I know the power of the smart select as I built a script that automatically places you in smart select everytime you make a selection change. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to respond in subobject mode though. Max has a tendency to default back to the move tool after doing certain operations even if your in smart select mode.

The biggest issue I find and you don't have this in Maya is....if youre in polygon mode and have the move tool active, you cant marquee select over a face whithout moving it (if you start from the centre of the face).

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

to demonstrate this further here's a gif that shows what i mean....

broken max2.gif

Also here's another gif demonstrating a weird issue with the selection marquee not displaying which kind of points to this entire functionality having some underlying issue in the first place?

If you have the move tool active. Activate the smart select and try to marquee a bunch of faces, the marquee wont appear. Do it again and it will......

broken max.gif

Message 4 of 6
domo.spaji

@Anonymous wrote:

moving a face or vertex freely without the transform gizmo

There are 4 (non axes) constraints options (buttons) In Edit Geometry rollout , one of those is "None".

What you suggesting is like removing that "None" option but for axes constraint!?

How "freely" you can move depends on axes constraint  you chose not place where you place cursor (not to mention when using other constraints like Normal where axe used for transform have no effect on result)

What would be benefit of restrictions you are suggesting?

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: domo.spaji

sorry im not sure you follow what im saying......i was questioning why we are able to move a face by clicking and dragging on the face........nothing to do with axis constraints. Thanks anyway

Message 6 of 6
domo.spaji

I'm following pretty well and it has all with axis constraints.

Open Axis Constraints toolbar and start playing with transform gizmos...

See update on Axis Constraints toolbar and vice versa...

Change constraints on toolbar and see update on gizmos.

Clicking or click-dragging axes, plane handles or center on gizmos constrain transforms on selected.

They turns yellow, after that its not matter where you drag for transformations.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report