Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curve smoothing when importing from AutoCAD to MAX

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
Anonymous
62543 Views, 22 Replies

Curve smoothing when importing from AutoCAD to MAX

Hello I'm new here. When I import a 3D model from AutoCAD to 3dsMAX I can slightly adjust the smoothness of the curves to keep the original design curve, utlizing the import options; however it still looks a bit edgy. What are some better techniques to maintain the original curve smoothness of objects when importing from AutoCAD to MAX? 

22 REPLIES 22
Message 21 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

type surftab1 > set value to 50

the same for surftab2

Message 22 of 23
bcraftCP5RN
in reply to: darawork

How about Ovals, Elipses & Eliptical Arcs from CAD? Max isn't recognizing them from my Autocad imports. Driving me nuts:))

Message 23 of 23
darawork
in reply to: bcraftCP5RN

Hi,

Yup, it still doesn't like them alright. I had a look online and found this though: 
http://www.lee-mac.com/entitytopointlist.html

If you have access to AutoCad and the DWG you want to import, you could first try and run the Autolisp inside of AutoCAD to convert the entities to Polylines. Then save this new version seperate to the original.

Also there was mention of exporting to DXF, instead of trying to bring DWGs into Max.
I've not tried that with ellipses, ovals or elliptical arcs yet though, so I'm not sure if that works.

Regards,

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report