Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curve Editor questions - keys often not visible

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
BenediZ
1336 Views, 7 Replies

Curve Editor questions - keys often not visible

Hello,

I wonder quite often, why the Keys in the Curve editor aren't visible, but you can see them in the Dope Editor.

(I'm used e.g. to the Curve editor from Maya, where always keys are at first glance visible and which is also more easy to navigate.)

Attached an screenshot from yesterday

Thanks for explanation!

Tags (2)
Labels (2)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
10DSpace
in reply to: BenediZ

@BenediZ 

The left and right panes in the Curve editor can be separately panned with the middle mouse, so your curve is not visible in the right pane.   Click on that pane and use the mouse scroll wheel to zoom out until you see your curve. then if you zoom in close to the curve you will see the keys which are small little white boxes when selected (left click on them to select or right click to reveal small dialogue with time and Value. 

Curve Editor Keys.png

Message 3 of 8
BenediZ
in reply to: 10DSpace

Thanks, ok, I see!

I still wonder why it does not auto-frame (and auto-scale) the keys in the active timeline range in a manner, that the user can immediately oversee them and work with them.

In Maya, whatever attribute I choose and whichever values it has, it's always giving a nicely framed view of the curve. No search and need for scrolling or panning.

Maybe I should put it into the "feature request" section

Message 4 of 8
10DSpace

@BenediZ 

I still wonder why it does not auto-frame (and auto-scale) the keys in the active timeline range in a manner, that the user can immediately oversee them and work with them.

If you have the animated object selected, then opening the curve editor should zoom to the animated properties displaying the curves.  (At least it does this on my system currently using Max 2020.3, but worked same way in previous versions).  If nothing is selected in your scene then when you open the curve editor it doesn't scroll/zoom to anything.   

In the View menu of the Curve Editor, the last item is "Enable Autozoom".  Try toggling that on if it is not already and make sure that you have the animated object selected before opening the curve editor.   Other than that I can't reproduce your issue on my system.   

The only other thing I can think of is are you using Maya navigation by any chance?  The only reason I mention this is a one liner in the max docs that may or may not have anything to do with this:

"Note: How you zoom and pan in the Key window depends on which interaction mode, 3ds Max or Maya, is active"

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2021/ENU/3DSMa...

Message 5 of 8
lynn_zhang

Hello @BenediZ ,

Just checking to see if your problem has been solved. Have you tried the above suggestions from @10DSpace and did you have any success? Let us know if you still need help.

Lynn Zhang
Community Manager

Message 6 of 8
quinnredshift

I realize that this post is really old, but I'm having a similar problem which this does not fix.

I know the keys are small. But in my case they're literally just plain not there.

I've got the object selected, the Track View window is sized for the right range, and there are just plain no keys. I can see the lines (dashed) that usually indicate where the tangents are going and they're completely flat (despite the keys I've set).

I have no idea why.

Message 7 of 8

personally, I think its a bug in max.

randomly when selected the keys dont display in the graph editor even though the keys ARE selected and editable while invisible.

Message 8 of 8

I found a solution last night, and it involves copying the default file from one folder to another; it was complicated, but it worked.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report