Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Rain System

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1102 Views, 4 Replies

Creating Rain System

Hello, I have a simple mesh and I would like help in creating a particle system that will collide with that mesh/to create "streams"/run down mesh and then off, also collect in pools in mesh depressions. I would also be willing to use a plugin if there is one that can accomplish this. I had posted a similar question earlier, but I am not sure what happened to it as I cannot find it now. Thank you for your help. 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I`m not aware of any dedicated Rain plugin for 3dsmax.This can be achieved in 3dsmx without plugins, but for beginners it`s not so easy task. What version of 3dsmax are you using? How realistic should it be? Is it a large scale scene, or a rather small, simple one?

There are a couple of tutorials that show how you can use Pflow for this. There is also a PresetFlow (water_Rain drip) shipping with 3dsmax that you could use as starting point, however it`s a very complex flow and doesn`t demonstrate the puddle part. This would be your part to integrate.

I wonder if it wouldn`t better to use the Fluid System, but we would have to research first how to make a realistic rain emitter setup for this. If we have this, everything else would fall naturally into the place, the water dripping and the realisic collection of water in the mesh depressions and the meshing.Unlike with Pflow (where you have to use the limited BlobMesh compound), meshing is very good integrated in the FluidSystem.

I might give this a try, when i have time.

Let me hear what you think, and how i can further help you!

Yours,

Meli

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Here is another really good tutorial for using ParticleFlow creating a rain system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAI6GnM2424

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Hello Meli, 

Thank you for your help. So first I had found info on PF Source, which I suppose is similar to PFlow. I saw your suggested tutorial, since posting the question I had found this tutorial and others from the same user. I am definitely into the idea of using the Fluid System as that seems like it would behave most naturally.

As far as my setup I am using Max 2016 and the scene currently uses a PF Source emitter, gravity, and a plane with some noise applied. At first, I am keeping the scene simple while learning what the workflow/setup will be. Ultimately this is for a personal project where water/rain will be fairly realistic. I just want the rain/water to interact with the other meshes naturally and have a realistic water material applied. I think I will complete the PF Source Scene I have and then look into the Fluid System.

I am very interested in the different particle systems/simulations/systems and producing scenes with photometric lighting. Basically producing scenes that are as accurate as possible. The trouble I am having is the documentation gives a very general overview of many of these things and my goals are more "advanced".

Thank you again for your help. Any information you can provide in achieving these results would be greatly appreciated. I am really trying to use MAx for more than just creating a poly object and learning more about the particle systems/lighting/materials/rendering setup (iRay/Mental Ray). 

- Shamus

Message 5 of 5
irishman_team_kilber

i would look at Deconstructing the Elements with 3ds Max: by Pete Draper don't buy it online first IMHO go down to a bookshop and see if they have it. most big bookshops will have it,  and see it it suits your needs

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AZ4O6CY/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i0

3rd Edition but these are quite old (6 Dec. 2012)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/024052019X/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i1 25 Apr 2006

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report