Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't select edges in UVW unwrap.

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
6722 Views, 3 Replies

Can't select edges in UVW unwrap.

Using 3Ds Max 2017

I cant select edges in UVW unwrap unless i turn of backfacing and even then i cant use Point-to-point seams on edges facing the camera.

Here are some pictures with explanations.

2017-06-26 18_41_00-Air_Factory_Pylon_1.max - Autodesk 3ds Max 2017.png

Here you can see the face orientation / normals of the mesh. Looks good facing the camera.

2017-06-26 18_41_52-Air_Factory_Pylon_1.max - Autodesk 3ds Max 2017.png

Selecting edges facing the camera is no problem with no modifier except editable poly.

2017-06-26 18_43_48-Air_Factory_Pylon_1.max - Autodesk 3ds Max 2017.png

Here you can see the mesh with Unwrap UVW modifier applied and i'm in edge mode.

Ignore backfacing and Point-to-point seams is ON.

Can't select this edge or any other edges facing the camera.

2017-06-26 18_44_19-Air_Factory_Pylon_1.max - Autodesk 3ds Max 2017.png

Ignore backfacing OFF and Point-to-point seams is ON, still no go.

2017-06-26 18_44_30-Air_Factory_Pylon_1.max - Autodesk 3ds Max 2017.png

Both settings OFF and i can select the edge. Completely useless. Any idea how to fix this problem? I've tried importing the mesh into a new scene it didn't work.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Alfred.DeFlaminis
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello @Anonymous and welcome to the community,

Chances are the normals on that object are inside-out.  Can you put a normal modifier between the mesh and the unwrap and make sure it's set to "Flip" (default) and see if that helps with this issue?  If that doesn't help, can you please attach part of the model for me to investigate?  You can PM me a link or I can create a private folder if privacy is paramount.  Thanks!

Best Regards,

Message 3 of 4
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous,

I just wanted to follow up here, any thoughts on my previous post? Thanks for the update!

Best Regards,

Message 4 of 4
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous,

Thank you for attaching the model, I see the problem.  This model has negative scale history on the Z axis, so the XForm is a bit strange.  All you need to do is reset the xform and possibly flip the normals.  On the model you attached I had to flip the normals after the xform reset and then it was all working perfectly.  Can you please try that for me?  Thanks!

Please hit the "Accept as Solution" button if my post solves your issue or answers your question. This lets me know that I was effective in helping you, and thank you for doing so.

Best Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report