Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bending a texture

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Helborg
1162 Views, 6 Replies

Bending a texture

Hi

I have a texture/label providet from acustomer, witch is made for a bucket, thas is more narrow at the bottom. 

Is it posible to bend the texture, to match the bucket, or does the customer have to provide a recangular texture/label ? 

Anonym labelAnonym labelBucketBucket

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

once you assign your material and show in viewport throw on a UVW mapping modifer and change it to mapping to cylinder that it should be ok but you may need to mess around with the tiling 

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2017/ENU/3DSMa...

Message 3 of 7

Yes that would do the trick, if the label was a straight rectangular. But it's bend, so is there a kind og UVW modificer, that I can use, to straigne the label/texture ?

Message 4 of 7

I don't think it really matters as long as you have added the UVW map i am not very good at texturing, so i will leave it here, i would do the tutorial that with 3ds max on UVW mapping

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Helborg

I have to assume you are going to use a diffuse rectanglar texture (material) for the main object of the barrel, right?

Best way to ensure everything looks right is to use Photoshop or GIMP and apply the decal (the banner texture) on a layer of the main texture. Then adding a Unwrap UVW modifier, and planar mapping the entire cylinder, should get you a perfected fit of the ploygons with the banner already layered into the diffuse texture and no distortio or "bending" will be necessary, as it is painted with its own detail and will "Wrap" around the barrel with the base material intact as well.

If you don't have Photoshop, or cannot use GIMP, PM me or reply and if you want, i can build diffuse, specular, normal, displacement (parallex) maps for you and put them on Google Cloud.

Message 6 of 7
Helborg
in reply to: Anonymous

Thankks for your reply. The bucket has a normal standart material (the customer is using my obj in photoshop)

It is only the label, that have a texture. However I have come up with a solution.

I first put the texture on a flat plane with the same segments as the label. Then UVW map on it, and then I bend the map, so it fits the label. Then I convert to edit mesh and then bend it back, so it is linear again. Then convert to edit mesh again and then bende around the bucket. Then convert to edit mesh, and then 3D snap the polys into place on the bucket. 

Now the texture fits the label, and can be changed with another texture, that has the same format. Not the best way. I know, but it works.

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Helborg

would be nice if Max had a decl object, that would project the selected texture (or material) onto a surface within an adjustable distance and axes.

Glad you got it sorted though... that's basically a decal plane, didn't think of it because 've been working in Unreal 4 and i knew that Max doesn't have the same decal functions as UE4.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report