Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beginner: Max to Substance

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
587 Views, 2 Replies

Beginner: Max to Substance

Hi,

My issue is that I have a color map and when I use the mask with color selection and place the eyedropper onto the mesh in Substance, I cannot assign a material to either half. I've tried baking and it does not work. What I decided on, was to put this model in ZBrush and then export the maps for Substance so I could better clarify my issue this way but still, the result is the same thing. No materials being applied to mesh when placing a mask with color selection on the mesh. Please let me know what you think is up. This forum does not let me attach Painter files so, it's been difficult getting the right answer on this issue. Substance's forums haven't given me a right answer. Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Diffus3d
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello @Anonymous ,

This is more of a substance question, but generally speaking the way I work is to apply the materials before you export to substance.  Substance will see the materials and let you add to what is already there.  Just apply materials with unique names to your model, then export as FBX and substance should take care of the rest.  

Best Regards,

Alfred (AJ) DeFlaminis

EESignature

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

View Max Tips/Tricks Megathread
Message 3 of 3
10DSpace
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous 

It looks like you have the Color selection mask applied to the wrong type of layer.  You can only apply a material to a Fill Layer in Substance Painter and it appears you have the color selection applied to just a regular (paintable) layer.  This is why when you drag the material to the layer stack and miss the regular layer, Substance automatically creates a Fill layer with that material.   But if you just try to drop the material on the regular paintable layer nothing happens.  So start first by creating the Fill layer and material that you want (just drag and drop in the viewport on the model) and then apply the color mask selecting only the colors you want the material to be applied to and that will work.  Hope this helps.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report