Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bad quality jpg compression in max?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1349 Views, 9 Replies

bad quality jpg compression in max?

hi,

i have problems with images saved as jpgs in best quality. the same image saved as png is in much better quality, what is no surprise. but when i save the png in photoshop as jpg the no loss of quality.
anybody else having the same trouble?
1. jpg saved in max
2. png saved in max
3. png saved as jpg in photoshop

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Check what setting the Smoothing option is on in the Jpeg setup. I recall a problem whereby the smoothing was set to the maximum by default. It just makes the picture blurry. Turn smoothing right down and save.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

hi samab, i think there´s no smoothing activated.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

Well , same here , but is not only pointing to .jpg , .tga results are the same .
rendering with 3dsmax design 2010 .

Solution :

in my case , opening the file on 3ds max design 2011 , and rendering to the format
needed , then all correct .
Message 5 of 10
Steve_Curley

Do you all have the latest Service Packs and Hotfixes installed?

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

yes, all up to date. even in 2011 i get the same result. it is most obvious when you have red color against black background.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

I think that smoothing thing happened in 2009.
I tried it with 2011, comparing images in RAM Player with A/B split screen.
PNG and TGA had no noticeable difference, as one wouls expect with lossless formats. The best quality Jpeg was a little softer, but not horrible, just as I would expect from Jpeg compression.
But, when I compared the Jpeg from Max with a Jpeg from PS, the PS one was a bit better.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

yes, that´s what i have noticed too. so, i´ll render to png and convert it in ps...
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

I just compared the PNG with the PS Jpeg. There was no significant difference, unlike the Max Jpeg.
So it seems that Jpegs from Max are not as good as those saved in PS.
Message 10 of 10
krrachana62

You Can try jpeg compressor tool for compress any types of image with higher accuracy by not losing the original quality of the uploaded images. You can do comparison of the images after and before compression in jpeg optimizer through compare option.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report