Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autosave is Taking forever!

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
12577 Views, 15 Replies

Autosave is Taking forever!

Hi,

we have 3ds max 2017 with all updates. Autosave is taking ages, while standard save is quick.

How it is possible? please fix it. In scenes with a lot of objects autosave is so slow that i have to turn it off.

we have the fastest SSD Samsung NVMe SSD 960 PRO, so it is not a hardware problem !

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Alfred.DeFlaminis
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello @Anonymous,

Is the file getting saved manually to the same drive as the autoback?  Or is the file going to a network or something?  If the autoback is on the SSD and the file is saved to a different drive, it would point toward a hardware I/O problem.  Is this Windows 10?  If I created a private folder for you, could I check the file?  Thanks for any information!  

Best Regards,

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hi @Alfred.DeFlaminis 

yes it is on the same folder on the desktop, i've already done the set project folder and it is saving and autosaving autobac in there.

Message 4 of 16

It used to happen even on windows 7, for me it was usually imported CAD files that triggered that, with some of them, autobackup was basically useless... As some preference settings are not respected with AutoBack (for example, AutoBack files are always saved with a thumbnail, no matter what your settings are), it might be worthwhile to check your preferences, mine look like this:

settings.png

If you have any of these unchecked, does the regular save time change when you check them?

Message 5 of 16
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous,

Thanks for the information here.  @Swordslayer has a great post and good advice, I have seen unchecking schematic help in the past.  I have a bug tracker entry for slow save times that the Max support techs made for another user, and I'd be happy to attach your file to it if you'd like.  I can create a private folder to upload it to, if you are up for it.  Was the file created all in Max 2017 or did it come from an earlier version?  Any plugins in use?  Just looking to collect information, and thanks for your time.

Best Regards,

Message 6 of 16
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous,

I just wanted to follow up here, any progress on this issue?

Best Regards,

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.DeFlaminis

the file we're working on is too big, but still we did what you've proposed without any solution

Message 8 of 16
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous,

Which version of Windows is this?  Was the file created all in Max 2017 or did it come from an earlier version?  Any plugins in use?  Thanks for the information!

Best Regards,

Message 9 of 16
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous,

I just wanted to follow up here, any progress on this issue?  I can easily make a private folder for you... 

Best Regards,

Message 10 of 16

Hi Alfred

we have the same problem here, Autosave is taking forever to save.

We are working on architectural scenes with lots of objects, textures, proxies, etc.

We use:

Windows 10

3ds Max 2017 (19.0SF)

Plugins:

Vray, ForestPack, Railclone, Phoenix, Colorcorrect, Floorgenerator, Multiscatter, Multitexture...

When we save manually and when we send the render to the backburner it doesnt save as long.

The Autosave-folder is default: C:Programs/Autodesk/Max2017/Autoback

Manual save (on network): approx. 3 minutes

Autoback save (on hardrive) : approx 15 minutes!!!

The Scene i'm working at the moment was created in Max2015.

When i watch the folder in which i save i notice the following behavior:

the max file is 334'003KB big and it needs about 10-20 seconds to save 333'852KB and then it needs 2-3 minutes for the last 151KB!

I have the same settings like you do in your screenshot you posted. (everything disabled except "reload textures on change")

Autoback saved me so many times in the past 15 years (im using max since version 2.5) and i just don't want to work without it. So please help!

Kind regard

Stefan

Message 11 of 16

Update:

I guess i have solved this problem.

Since you asked if the scene was built in an older max-version, i opened a fresh new max scene an imported the scene.

Autoback saving time is now down to 9 minutes (still to long, but way better then 15 minutes)

i was thinking about the fact that it saves 99.9% so fast and for the last 0.1% it takes so long, so i thought that max is not saving but searching for stuff, like maps and paths for proxies etc...Because we have a huge texture and model library we have a lot of paths for max to look into.

so here is the solution go into File -> Asset Tracking

select all bitmaps, ies, proxies

then in the menubar of the asset tracker window go to Paths -> Make Path relative to Project folder

(after selecting all the maps when you click on the menu it takes a while until it appears, so have patience, also after clicking the make path relative to project folder, it will take some time, but it is totally worth the wait, i promise)

Tipp: make a shortkey for that action.

Now saving manually is 15 seconds

Autobackup saves in 15 seconds aswell

Cheers!!!

Message 12 of 16
kris
in reply to: stefanbaur6198

In customize>preferences, do you have "compress on save" checked?

Message 13 of 16
stefanbaur6198
in reply to: kris

i had it unchecked during my tests but i activated it now...

i also re-activated to save a viewport thumbnail.

everything is still fine... saves / autosaves like a charm.

Message 14 of 16

Thanks for the update @stefanbaur6198,

I did a test here and I was seeing the same thing, paths that are super long are making things take a while to save.  I have sent this information to the relevant people internally, and thanks for the confirmation.  I have seen this in a couple other areas and I am a bit surprised that it took the save time from 15 minutes to 15 seconds, that's a huge time saving.  Thanks for the helpful post!

Best Regards,

Message 15 of 16
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous, did the suggestion to make paths relative help with your issue?  Thanks for any information.

Best Regards,

Message 16 of 16
MostafaElashmawy

I faced same problem and the only solution was so strange.

When you right click on the shortcut of 3ds max then go to properties >> Compatibility >> Compatibility mode, I found that there was a check box telling : Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows 8.

Once I unchecked the box , every thing is solved.

max slow saving.PNG

Mostafa Elashmawy
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report