Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Flatten UV and export

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
2953 Views, 10 Replies

Automatic Flatten UV and export

Hi all,

I am quite new to all this but I am trying to unwrap and flatten multiple objects for import in UE4. I see there is an automatic unwrapper and flatten (render to texture) which works great but whenever I go to export it says "unable to create destination file". It works if I do a smaller number of objects (less than 100) but anything more than that and I get this message. See screenshots below. Any help would be greatly appreciated.errorr.png

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Alfred.DeFlaminis
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello @Anonymous and welcome to the community,

First, I'd like to apologize that you experienced such a long delay before you got a reply here. I'd like to help find an answer for you. Are you still having this issue?

I haven't seen this error before and I don't have notes for it, so I have a few questions for you.  I did a few tests with about 250 objects exported and it was working for me, so we need to dig a bit here to find the answer for you. 

1) Do you also get this error if you attach these objects to each other before you export them?

2) Which version of 3ds Max is this for?

3) Would it be possible to share this Max file with me?  I can create a private folder for you if you'd like.  Thanks!

Best Regards,

Message 3 of 11
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous,

I just wanted to follow up here, any thoughts on my previous post?

Best Regards,

Message 4 of 11
fla3d

Since you are exporting to UE4, I can recommend two scripts I've using, this first one I use mainly for the automatic flatten to channel 2 that is the channel 1 in unreal used for the lightmap:

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/unreal-tools

This second one is the best to export a bunch of objects to unreal and then create the actors inside UE4:

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/3ds-max-to-ue4-fbx-scene-export

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: fla3d

Thanks for your responses! Sorry been busy with other projects lately.

Alfred,

1)I have not tried this but will give it a go

2)3ds Max 2016

3)Confidential file but I can give you a part of it. Not sure how to give it to you thought?

Fla3d,

The scripts you recommended worked great for unwrapping and flattening but it still doesn't export even if I collapse the modifiers.

Thanks,

Aidan 

Message 6 of 11
fla3d

It's not very common to export one single fbx file with a lot of objects inside to UE, when you import there it will break it as multiple static meshes but they will all have the pivot at the center of the 3ds max scene.

I still suggest you try export using the second script I linked, it will create a single fbx file for each object you selected but first it will move it the object to the center of the scene in order to preserve the object's pivot location. Maybe you'll avoid the error you are getting now and also have a better workflow.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: fla3d

I tried running the export script after using the unwrap and it still doesn't work unfortunately. The log file doesn't show anything either.

Message 8 of 11
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous,

All good advice by @fla3d here.  I can take a closer look if you'd like.  I have set up a private folder for you if you'd like to upload your files there. You should get an email about it shortly, and if you don't see it please check your SPAM folder. These files are private and will not be shared with anyone but yourself and the support staff. Please let me know if you have any questions. Please use at least an 8 character password or the Box account may not work properly.

Best Regards,

Message 9 of 11
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Thank you for sending the file @Anonymous.

When I select all the objects and export it works fine for me.  So, I have a couple suggestions.

1) Please make sure you are using the latest service pack for 2016.  (SP4)

2) Is it possible that you have non-standard export settings for FBX?  I have attached my preset (it's defaults) as a way to make sure we're using the same export settings.   Place it in C:\Users\%username%\Documents\3dsMax\FBX\3dsMax2014_X64\Presets\2016.1\export

3) Does this error persist if you try to export to a different location such as C: or D:?

Thanks for trying those and for the information!

Best Regards,

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hi Alfred,

I think the SP was the problem. Installed SP4 (was on SP3) and it seemed to export then. Gonna run a few more tests but I think that's the ticket.

Thanks very much for all your help. Much appreciated.

Message 11 of 11
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Thanks for the update and confirmation @Anonymous, I'm very glad to hear that!  Smiley LOL   Please let me know if your tests fail or not so we can mark a solution for the next person with this problem.

I have deleted your file and email to protect your IP and privacy.  Thank you!

Best Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report