Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk's Position on Installing PhysX alongside MassFX?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
lightcube
961 Views, 2 Replies

Autodesk's Position on Installing PhysX alongside MassFX?

NVidia has released PhysX Plugin v3+ that now has support for Max 2015. I am curious if installing this on Max 2015 is actually a good idea or not? The last time I installed PhysX with a Max with native MassFX, it was a bit of a nightmare. I'm not so adventurous this year, but I do love testing new goodies.

What is the word from anyone at AD? Is it actually safe to install without causing cardiac arrest? Normally I'd never ask for an opinion on a 3rd Party plugin, but this is a plugin developed by a partner of AD and is the half-sister of Max's MassFX.

Shawn Olson

Developer of Wall Worm
3ds Max plugins and Scripts

3ds Max 4/Gmax - 3ds Max 2020
Mudbox 2009-2019

Windows 10 x64
i7 8700K
64GB RAM
Geforce 1080ti
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
VishnuR
in reply to: lightcube

Hello Shawn,

I did some checking on this for you > here's the summary.

As long as NVidia has properly separated their Plugin from the internal parts that 3ds Max is still using, it should be good.

However, we are not testing that plugin and have no direct experience or recommendation that we can make at this time.

We don’t verify 3rd party plugins.

On the other hand , if you encounter issues, please do report them.

I usually tell people to make backups of any important 3ds Max scenes, objects, etc prior to install of Any plugins.

Also avoid plugin installs if approaching or near production deadline delivery times.

Or test on another computer, not the main one used for production delivery work.
Just to be safe.

Best Regards
VR

Vishnu Ramdass
Message 3 of 3
lightcube
in reply to: VishnuR

Thank you for the feedback. And thank you for surprising me with contacting me on the issue externally. I've given AD a lot of flack on some business strategies that concern me deeply. At the same time, you (and others) have continued to prove to me a growing dedication to reaching out to Max users; I appreciate this.

In terms of the PhysX plugin. I'm personally going to hold off right now as it isn't necessary for me at the moment. I was hoping to get some more information to read between the lines regarding nVidia's Flex technology and Max's future marriage of Max/MassFX. 🙂

Shawn Olson

Developer of Wall Worm
3ds Max plugins and Scripts

3ds Max 4/Gmax - 3ds Max 2020
Mudbox 2009-2019

Windows 10 x64
i7 8700K
64GB RAM
Geforce 1080ti

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report