Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arnold Round Corners issue

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Dantetron
699 Views, 7 Replies

Arnold Round Corners issue

Hello folks.

Running into a lot of noise issues when trying to utilize the Arnold 'round corners' shader.

Even when I crank up the samples to 100! I get random noise throughout all my materials.

Dantetron_0-1612367829159.png

Super-sparkly on random edges. 'Round corners' is an incredibly important tool when you can't chamfer your entire scene and makes a scene look much more professional.    Can we get it working?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
oliver
in reply to: Dantetron

I made some quick tests and can't see more/less noise with/without applied Round Corners. The only scenario where I noticed something matching your observations is when I set the corner radius to a very very small value (like the default 0,01).

left: no RoundCorners   right: with RoundCornersleft: no RoundCorners right: with RoundCorners

Message 3 of 8
CiroCardoso3v

What happens if you reduce the specularity?

Lead Enviroment Artist @Axis Studios

Arnold Discord Server

Ciro Cardoso

EESignature

Message 4 of 8
Dantetron

Thanks for your input, Oliver and CiroCardoso3v.

Both of you are on the right course.  The round corners shader is working very well on the objects when the camera is close to the object. But it falls apart as the camera zooms out.  So the "size" relative to the camera is part of the problem. And, yes, the objects are metallic so that's only enhancing the problem.

To solve the problem I'm forced to animate the round corner radius to zero as the camera pulls out.  An hour I spent that seems like the software should be able to handle on its own.  Nothin' more fun than spending time on workarounds! 

Message 5 of 8
CiroCardoso3v

That is a bug for sure. If you can share just a bit of the geometry as an example, or create a short screengrab of this, I can report it directly to the Arnold Developers. 

Arnold Discord Server

Ciro Cardoso

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
oliver
in reply to: CiroCardoso3v

The Radius-setting is strange anyway: it does not take the set scene-units into account. 

The default setting of 0,01 gives the same result in Centimeter-scale and Meter-scale.

When my scene is set to a certain unit scale I expect the setting to be measured in that unit! Changing the unit-scale while working should change these kind of settings as well.

Message 7 of 8
CiroCardoso3v
in reply to: oliver

That is true. Could be based on your units. 0.01 of what? Going to make that suggestion.

Although I guess the value is relative to the object you are working on. If you change the scale, the round corners don't change.

Arnold Discord Server

Ciro Cardoso

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
CiroCardoso3v

Ok, I guess I need to start checking documentation more often.

https://docs.arnoldrenderer.com/display/A5NodeRef/round_corners

The round corners is done in object space, thus not having real units. It will scale according to the object size.

@Dantetron 

Check the option Object Space

Set object scale to false when you want to use a world space radius so that geometries with different transform scales get a uniform world space rounding.

Arnold Discord Server

Ciro Cardoso

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report